• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Shop Vac....

Thrashingcows

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
I recently scavenged an old barrel drum Black and Decker shop vac from the waste transfer station, from what I could find online these were manufactured around the mid 60's?

The removable wheeled base had one wheel basically broken off...few holes and some zip ties and it's pretty strong now, then tore the rest down to clean the motor and service and check what I could....works great and looks so cool!

4pd1soEh.jpg

y0uId2Sh.jpg

Gyf37H7h.jpg

I didn't even know these existed unit I pulled this from the dumpster... ;)

Sad what folks will toss! Just like our old cars kicked to the curb when they don’t care for it or want to take care of it. But golden after awhile of missing it. We have become a throw away society. Nice little score!

I agree we are a throw away nation. I had a GE frig that had a problem with the cold water dispenser and then it it quit cooling completely. It was only 6 years old and when I found out it had some kind of computer in it I decided to get a new one. Now back in the late 70's and 80's most of the cars here on the northeast were rust buckets due to the salt on the roads. The sand didn't help as the spinning tires became sand blasters in the wheel wells. Back then there was no sheet metal to replace anything unless you were lucky to get something NOS. So the question was do I keep a car with no metal available or just junk it? Nobody knew the aftermarket would start reproducing metal in the late 90's. So who do we blame for discarding those muscle cars?

You can order online (or go to Grainger's if you like) and buy shop vacs designed specifically
to be clamped down on top of your average garden variety 55 gallon drum now.
They come in 3.5 and 5 hp motors.
We use them often in fire sprinklers when we need to put an entire system in a "draw" so we can change out sprinklers without flooding peoples' businesses.
As the Dyson ad says, they "have the proper amount of suction" - x100! :)

Brilliant idea for putting a draw on the system, that works on engine cooling systems too for avoiding the mess

Auto Transport Service
Back