• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vinyl top repairs and maintenance

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
I need a swath of vinyl top material for my Newport (yes, I know, not a B-body). It's for the part just below the rear window.

In boar grain

black-Boar.jpg

I know it's a long shot, but I figured I would give it a try. She's not a concours car, nor will she ever be, but I just want to get her looking a little more presentable. And I really do not want to re-do the entire top.

DSC04411.jpg
DSC04415.jpg

please pm me here with whatever you have. thanks!

I always like talking to myself. I always get the right answers!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Any of the rust go through? I'd like to see it when you're done! Very interesting.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Any of the rust go through? I'd like to see it when you're done! Very interesting.

ya it's guna be a doozy. lol I didnt see anything from underneath in the trunk, but i wont really know until I start tearing into it. Not quite sure how im going to replace it and make it look decent, but Ill figure something out. first thing would be to clean the hell out of the current top and see how black I can get it. I think my biggest problem is going to be matching the two. blacken up the old one and fade the new one...

ya it's guna be a doozy. lol I didnt see anything from underneath in the trunk, but i wont really know until I start tearing into it. Not quite sure how im going to replace it and make it look decent, but Ill figure something out. first thing would be to clean the hell out of the current top and see how black I can get it. I think my biggest problem is going to be matching the two. blacken up the old one and fade the new one...

Send the new one to me. The Texas sun will have it white in six hours!!

So I went today and purchased some Lexol vinylex vinyl cleaner/conditioner (after going to all the big parts stores, I found it only at Pep Boys).

lexol vinyl.jpg

I went with Lexol (bout $10 a bottle, but very well worth it) because that's what my old man used on his horse saddles and tack etc, and on his Lincolns and he always swore by it. I used Lexol's leather cleaner and conditioner on the Newport's interior soft parts and it came out great, so I thought, what the hell.

I applied to the Newport's very sad looking top and...MAN what a difference!

Poor top probably hasn't been conditioned in YEARS, if ever and it cleaned it right up! :hello2:

DSC05063.jpg

I'll have to buy some of that stuff for my vinyl top. I used to use that black vinyl top protectant that was like shoe polish. Looked great and really kept the top nice. I just don't know if I have the desire or elbows to apply that stuff anymore. It's a bitch - but back in the day worth the trip. This lexol looks easier to apply

I'll have to buy some of that stuff for my vinyl top. I used to use that black vinyl top protectant that was like shoe polish. Looked great and really kept the top nice. I just don't know if I have the desire or elbows to apply that stuff anymore. It's a bitch - but back in the day worth the trip. This lexol looks easier to apply

I did apply it a couple of times. I let it dry 10 min and re-applied...but yes, waaay easier than the old school stuff. wax on, wax off. lol

You will have to polish the trim next lol

hahaha right?? it's the snowball effect! next thing you know, Ill be painting the car!! lol

soooooo my project may be looking a little bit easier to pull off...:laughing6:

I am painting a few interior parts and was reading up on the SEM Landau Black and it says it will do vinyl tops?!?

http://www.eastwood.com/landau-black-interior-paint-aerosol-12-oz-net.html

Im going to get a couple cans for the interior anyways, so ill take a little bit of the leftovers and give a scrap of the top a shot and see how it holds up.

I will report back...wish me luck!!

Good luck, hope you can pull it off.

Auto Transport Service
Back