• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washing a car with hard water(well water)

At one point I was using the "Mr. Clean Car Wash System" and I credit the dual water filter built into the spray handle for the results, although the soap may have been a factor too.
Now I have had well water for over 15 years, but that doesn't mean no spots.
I use the RainX Spot Free Wash, but I make a 40 gallon plastic trash can full of R.O. D.I. (Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized) rinse water using the 4 way filter I used to make my base water for saltwater aquariums, and a submersible pump, and I rinse with that, then dry, always out of the sun if possible.
It's a lot to go through, but easier and better than dealing with water spots!

Last edited:
I don't always cover my cat when put away. Normally just hit it with the Cali duster and spritz with detailer spray. Mothers or Mguires.

Your cat must be very understanding...or simply unable to run away! LOL! Nice pictures of your mice-chasers, BTW!

Personally, I like to use the leaf blower for 98% of the moisture, and a very soft bath towel on whatever is left on the car.

Look up one of these on Amazon:

Culligan RV-800 Exterior Pre-Tank Recreational Vehicle Water Filter with Hose​

They do a great job of removing a bunch of the solids and leave your car to dry with fewer spotting issues. Griots Garage also used to have a hose unit you could use. It was a little better but significantly more expensive. I have a black car and have been using this for years with our hardwater with great results.

Look up one of these on Amazon:

Culligan RV-800 Exterior Pre-Tank Recreational Vehicle Water Filter with Hose​

They do a great job of removing a bunch of the solids and leave your car to dry with fewer spotting issues. Griots Garage also used to have a hose unit you could use. It was a little better but significantly more expensive. I have a black car and have been using this for years with our hardwater with great results.
Very good suggestion from the looks of it.
The Mr. Clean Car Wash System was brilliant, DEFINITELY worked, and guaranteed the manufacturer recurring revenue for filter replacements. It is sad and strange that they stopped making them.
I have a 3 cartridge PLUS Reverse Osmosis membrane cartridge filter system from "back when" I made my own water base for saltwater aquariums. I can guarantee the only thing it makes is H²O and ZERO% of anything else. By using that as my rinse water, from a 50 gallon or so plastic garbage can and submersible pump, along with the RainX Spot Free Wash Liquid, the only other thing I try to do is do all that before the sun leaves me without any shade.

Wash in the early morning or late evening to avoid direct sunlight

Don’t let water dry on the surface

It's a 2 for one deal... the car gets washed, and I get a shower when the air dryers blow the water past the dried out window seals.

WINNER!!!

If you have washed your car using HARD water to rinse or just to wipe down, are there any tricks to getting the water spots from forming or is there a drying time trick to avoid the spots that would appear especially on a black car?
We always wipe our cars down with a chamois after washing.

Now this, is hard water .....

Phenomena-Hailstorm-Worldofphenomena_0.jpg

There’s simply nothing like a supply of water softened water inside the house and out. It’s like showering in a flow of silk. Not for gardens and greenery and such but for up inside i
use and for the cars it’s a beautiful thing. My pops always had one as we were growing up and my sister has continued with them in our old family house. Night and day difference between her home and mine just taking a shower.

If you have washed your car using HARD water to rinse or just to wipe down, are there any tricks to getting the water spots from forming or is there a drying time trick to avoid the spots that would appear especially on a black car?
I live in an area where the water comes
straight from the ground, and is used
as concrete. Many, many, years of
fretting those miniscule rings of paint
destroying alkaline, the best remedy
I've found, is to dry the car in the
shade, using a genuine chamois. Real
leather. After the drying, I use
Mequires waterless wash. The stuff
works. Cool thing is, you can keep
the car looking great. (using no water
unless you take your car mudbogging).
My cars haven't seen a bucket and
hose wash for years.
image005-1.jpgimage005.jpgIMAG0028.jpg
Of course I kinda baby them, avoiding
situations where they become
excessively loaded with dirt.
(wiped down with the Mequires)
The stuff is fast and easy to use
using a detail towel. Never use a
short knap microfiber towel to dry
your car. The problem is, they're
too good at picking up dirt, and trap
that dirt in the fibers. Every time you
swipe that towel across the surface,
it's like using sand paper.
My apologies for using the Muatangs
as a reference. They belong to some
friends where I help detailed them.
The Jeep is mine.

Leaf blower and if you get water spots, vinegar takes them off.

After the drying, I use
Mequires waterless wash.
The following is JMO/YRMV from my experience...
CAUTION!!
Screenshot_20230503_144315_Messages.jpg

I used Meguiar's Waterless Wash for a few months BEFORE I discovered the hideous film it was leaving on my paint. I even extolled its wonders when I first started using it, like you seem to be doing.
I have tried for years to keep the 65 GTO and 70 Roadrunner out of the rain, off wet streets, and I avoid using water for cleaning whenever possible
BUT
I have found the best way for me to take care of both cars is to use the RainX Spot Free Wash and the 3 cartridge filter+Reverse Osmosis membrane "4 Stage" filter system (or a less costly filter that makes clean, mineral and chemical free water. DEIONIZATION IS A BIG PLUS) to make a 50 gallon reserve of rinse water, using a submersible pump and I rinse with that. I use thick, high-quality 100% cotton towels to dry, and I change them out often. They get washed by themselves, and I never use ANY fabric softener as that can leave residue and I find reduces absorbency.
I have used real and artificial chamois and they do work well, but I find the 100% cotton towels work better, if only to help make sure they are clean and don't leave dirt or residue behind.
:thumbsup: :lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:
1683143210805.png

Then I use a high quality wax (the latest being Meguiar's Yellow Liquid) and I apply and remove that. That is at least one time each year, sometimes twice.
1683143676506.png

If the car isn't dirty, I use a "California Duster" and a detailing spray like Meguiar's Final Inspection.
1683143722657.png

AVOID SILICONE BASED PRODUCTS as they may look good on and after application, but they WILL leave an oily film residue that will give a haze or oily sheen to your paint finish. I know the yellow wax has silicone in it, but it must be minimal because it doesn't leave an oily film residue.
I mentioned Final Inspection, and it is a "clean" detailing spray in that it seems to add or bring back shine, but DOES NOT leave any oily residue. It has been the BEST thing I've ever used on glass, mirrors, and helmet visors, and painted finishes as well, and I have used it on my motorcycle seat cover too, because it doesn't leave a slippery finish on leather or vinyl.

Last edited:
Another option is wash car as normal, and using a garden spray bottle, pour a couple gallons of distilled water in there and spray the old water off with that. That's what car washes use, and that's what I use in my radiators to keep hard water deposits from plugging up cooling passages on the head gaskets..

The following is JMO/YRMV from my experience...
CAUTION!!
View attachment 1459601
I used Meguiar's Waterless Wash for a few months BEFORE I discovered the hideous film it was leaving on my paint. I even extolled its wonders when I first started using it, like you seem to be doing.
I have tried for years to keep the 65 GTO and 70 Roadrunner out of the rain, off wet streets, and I avoid using water for cleaning whenever possible
BUT
I have found the best way for me to take care of both cars is to use the RainX Spot Free Wash and the 3 cartridge filter+Reverse Osmosis membrane "4 Stage" filter system (or a less costly filter that makes clean, mineral and chemical free water. DEIONIZATION IS A BIG PLUS) to make a 50 gallon reserve of rinse water, using a submersible pump and I rinse with that. I use thick, high-quality 100% cotton towels to dry, and I change them out often. They get washed by themselves, and I never use ANY fabric softener as that can leave residue and I find reduces absorbency.
I have used real and artificial chamois and they do work well, but I find the 100% cotton towels work better, if only to help make sure they are clean and don't leave dirt or residue behind.
:thumbsup: :lowdown::lowdown::lowdown:
View attachment 1459602
Then I use a high quality wax (the latest being Meguiar's Yellow Liquid) and I apply and remove that. That is at least one time each year, sometimes twice.
View attachment 1459615
If the car isn't dirty, I use a "California Duster" and a detailing spray like Meguiar's Final Inspection.
View attachment 1459616
AVOID SILICONE BASED PRODUCTS as they may look good on and after application, but they WILL leave an oily film residue that will give a haze or oily sheen to your paint finish. I know the yellow wax has silicone in it, but it must be minimal because it doesn't leave an oily film residue.
I mentioned Final Inspection, and it is a "clean" detailing spray in that it seems to add or bring back shine, but DOES NOT leave any oily residue. It has been the BEST thing I've ever used on glass, mirrors, and helmet visors, and painted finishes as well, and I have used it on my motorcycle seat cover too, because it doesn't leave a slippery finish on leather or vinyl.
Odd. I've never had a problem using
the waterless wash/wax. All three
vehicle finishes look good with no
haze or film left behind.

Odd. I've never had a problem using
the waterless wash/wax. All three
vehicle finishes look good with no
haze or film left behind.
I hope it stays that way for you.
I was a big fan of that product for a few months, until the light hit the car just right and it looked like oil sheen on water. That took some work to get it off the paint too.

I'm going to use the Avalon kit and try ceramic coating myself. Guys I work with says to do it right takes about 6 hours. Trying my mustang first.

Even with or without ceramic coating I use driwash and love the results.

DriWash Solutions - Distributor of DRI WASH 'n GUARD

None of these cars have ever had a wash or wax in my ownership. I get asked all the time if the mustang has factory paint.

IMG_20230428_081848521_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230427_193418528_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230415_162801244_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230324_190403062_HDR.jpg

I hope it stays that way for you.
I was a big fan of that product for a few months, until the light hit the car just right and it looked like oil sheen on water. That took some work to get it off the paint too.
It would be interesting hear to from
others suffering from the same
effect as you have after using
their product. Been using this stuff
for years, and am happy with the
results.

Auto Transport Service
Back