• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Based or Petrol Based Parts Cleaner

Yeah someone told me they use the dishwasher when the wife isn't home, lol

clr works good as a cleaner n is safe to the enviroment, n that dishwasher idea sounds like a good idea soap n lots off hot water have cleaned stuff for years.

Just curious to know if any of you gurus out there have any wisdom to share concerning water based parts cleaner compared to petrol based. We always used to use kerosene or mineral spirits. It seems like there are alot more water based options out there these days.

I'm thinking of getting a new parts washer but want to go in the $100-$200 range but they all come with water based pumps. Should I just get a cheepo tub and get a pump for petrol based cleaners and replace it? Any noticeable difference between the two as far as cleaning ability?

Any advice will help.
If you go with an aqueous solution, you gotta heat it for it to work as well as solvent based stuff. I bought a cheap $15 hot plate from Walmart and stuck it to the bottom of my water based cleaner . Takes 15 minutes to heat up, but it cleans real good.

I tried the water based cleaner but went back to the mineral spirits. Don't remember the brand of the WBC I had but if you leave the parts in the vat long enough soaking, it'll work but it also took the paint off of stuff.

Depending on what your cleaning and how often you do,the local trans shop normally has a hot water parts washer that's like a dishwasher for trans parts. So you know it's ok for aluminum.
I have used Castrol Superclean with great results, but it stains anodized cruddy intakes,pans & timing covers come out great in the machine. My trans builder has one in his garage that I have access to.

I just bought this little 3 gallon from Summit. I don't have anymore floor space I can give up so this will be better than nothing.
0bf10a7fe202ef401-6161459b9f7c0f1f8a63e8b5486b9ed5&csrf=178fd616ab10cd645dde909055a3ffedfa5f87cc.jpg

I mounted it in my work bench.
0bf10a7fe202ef401-6161459b9f7c0f1f8a63e8b5486b9ed5&csrf=178fd616ab10cd645dde909055a3ffedfa5f87cc.jpg

It says water based only. Any reason I can't put Mineral Spirts in it?

After reading this I sounds like water based cleaner isn't worth it.

Is the issue toxic fumes or flammable? I'm more worried about fire than anything.

Thanks

My guess is the plastic pump may not like some solvents

I just use AV-100LL at about $7.50Cdn/gallon. It's about 1/3rd the price of a gallon of degreaser and works 3 x better. Of course I also have a 500 gallon tank of it handy in the yard...

We were forced by california regulations to use water based cleaners and solvents and paints at the company i worked for, making large graphic arts cameras. We could never get our weldments clean enough afterwards. We would find paint wiping off on our hands, off of the completed product as we loaded them into trucks for shipment. I'm sure it damaged our companies reputation worldwide.
I would NEVER use water-based paint or cleaner for anything, if an alternative is available and legal.

It says water based only. Any reason I can't put Mineral Spirts in it?

Had a friend with one of these & the solvent he used (don't know what it was) took all the paint of the inside of the tub in sheets. What a mess. Re-did it with POR & held up well.

To 33 IMP, I hope that company moved out of Calif!

I never did get the dishwasher setup I talked about in use! Car is done now, don't need it. Used the parts washer & lots of paint thinner.

@meskip , we made really fine graphic arts cameras,with worldwide sales, but we became a buggy-whip business. The digital camera put us out of business. (But california tried to help). We sold a half million dollars of cameras to Jet Propulsion Labs, and when digital revolution took over, they all ended up in a dumpster, it wasn't worth JPLs time to take them apart to recycle.
I retired when we closed the doors, sure wish i still had access to the equipment i took for granted.

My guess is the plastic pump may not like some solvents

That's what my concern is... even though Mineral Spirits isn't that harsh, I'm concerned about the pump failing or worse yet... catching fire.

I just use AV-100LL at about $7.50Cdn/gallon. It's about 1/3rd the price of a gallon of degreaser and works 3 x better. Of course I also have a 500 gallon tank of it handy in the yard...

I'm sure it works great but doesn't it evaporate quick? Not to mention fore sure fire hazard.

used to use mineral spirits, now, i just scrap off the big stuff, dawn and hot water is the ****! cheap!

Did the Simple Green work good?
For a water soluble, not bad. They weren't allowed to use a flammable and wanted something that didn't discolor aluminum. It's still slimy like most water base. I used Krud Kutter in my parts washer. It did ok too but not like any flammable solvents.

How about Awesome from the Dollar store. Cheap & pretty powerful. Nasty smell though.

How about Awesome from the Dollar store. Cheap & pretty powerful. Nasty smell though.
Yha, I thought of that. Since it's cheap I think I may try it. What's the worse it can happen? I dump it out and try something different.

Thanks guys.. I appreciate your input.

Auto Transport Service
Back