• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water Temp Sensor Question…

Lighthorseman

Local time
10:07 PM
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out…

A.) Is this my water temperature sensor in the first picture? I believe that it is.

B.) Does it go in the open hole in the second picture? Most pictures I’ve found show the temp sensor in different places.

I have swapped engines from a non-Ho 383 to a built 440. The sensor thread is too small for the hole in the second shot. Are 383 and 440 sensors different sizes, or am I completely out to lunch with where this thing goes?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Edit…
I figured out the screw thread stuff. I just need a different part. I am still not sure, however, if the sensor can go in that hole. It LOOKS like part of the water flow system to me…

767BBED3-4B8E-4CB1-B906-7E96AB040896.jpeg

F450B9F9-264A-4818-A95D-35F81D51414B.jpeg

Last edited:
It appears to be a mechanical gauge using a capillary tube. The factory sensor would have a wired connection. I think that's an oil pressure sensor.

Your temperature sensor goes at the arrow.
F450B9F9-264A-4818-A95D-35F81D51414B.jpeg

As Jerry said, the small plug is the hole for a factory gauge sensor.
The heater hose on the right, should go to that open hole.
Then your water temp sensor you are questioning , goes in the hole you removed the heater pipe from.
Hope that makes sense.

I'm curious how you're going to spin the fan...

And your triangle alt bracket is on wrong. Or is it just rotated down.

should have a wire like this
1659385317336.png

1. You are showing a mechanical water temperature sending unit.
2. The hole indicated by the white arrow is the correct hole. You might need an adapter or a different place to mount your temperature sensor if you want to keep the mechanical one in your hand.
3. The factory electric temperature sensor is also shown correctly above. Hook a wire to it. It may work.

First off, a GIANT THANK YOU!!! to everyone who replied. A little further investigation revealed the following:

That weird-*** thing in picture 1 is some sort of aftermarket temperature thingy. I pulled it out, as I want to use the gauge on my rally dash.

I located the proper (violet) wire with the correct attachment for the temperature sensor. I have ordered one, as per Jerry and Dave. Thanks, guys!

I have corrected the location of the heater hose as per Ramcharger. Secondarily, the fan is a clutch-driven unit.

Thanks so much to everyone for the help!!

Secondarily, the fan is a clutch-driven unit.

That may be, but the picture shows no pulley, no belt to run it.

…”I'm curious how you're going to spin the fan...”

…”That may be, but the picture shows no pulley, no belt to run it.”

Boy, do I feel like a nitwit! I had a look at pictures online and realized that I did, indeed, need a pulley for the fan. I then dug through my box o’ parts, and sure enough, found the requisite pulley.

Another big thank you to the helpful members here - all of whom are nice enough to NOT use the “nitwit” term themselves!

Here’s a shot of things now…

68351933-7785-42BA-84FE-06C0EF906F23.jpeg

Lookin good! The lower alt adjust arm should go behind the triangle bracket, and the bolt behind the fan belt should have no washer.
Getting there!

And the bolt on the front of the drivers side head should have a ground wire on it...
You should clean the paint off that area threads underside of where the wire goes etc.

Auto Transport Service
Back