• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We were talking about 73 Pontiacs and this was cool.

Isn’t that what owning a car is about? Having the fastest car on the street? :lol:
Well… if we’re time traveling back to ‘78… I was just 13. And one of my neighbors had a Rally Green A12 road runner. A guy at the other end of the block had a ‘68 L78 Chevelle. Cars like that were everywhere. So the fastest/quickest ‘78 wasn’t very impressive. At least 13 yo me didn’t think so. :)

Some truck memories early in my day. Worked for a machine shop, first job and not long before given more pickup and delivery duties in their old well-worn ’65 Ford 150, six with a 3 on the tree. Co-owner, da jerk-wad one, would load that thing up until it looked like it was on a hill. Felt like the front wheels were damn near off the ground steering it. Cuz they were. I’d bitch every so often; but he’d say grow some balls kid. One time damn near rolled it over on an icy street and the load of 2,000 shafts in metal bins went all over the box. Took an hour to get all them back on the pallets. One of a few bad encounters driving that truck.

Year later, owners got company leased Chryslers and a Dodge pickup with a four speed. Lol, what a diff! Liked that truck. My other boss, Geno, the good one, liked to borrow my Cuda and later my new Challenger giving me the keys to his boat Chrysler, and later his co-leased Cordoba. Think it was when they first came out. Cool ride. Met my old car buds in town one night driving it. They were like WDF hey what's this, where’s da Challenger? Said I traded it in for the Cordoba. Had some fun BS'ing them.

Old Geno, when he returned my ride, he’d have the stereo cranked up, wipers on, and heater/fan on full blast. I reciprocated on that ****. We all probably have our most-favorite people we’ve encountered in life and not a long list. At least, how it is with me. Geno, RIP you were one of the best.

Thanks for letting me jump in here a bit off the rails with some great memories.

The other "bird" in my garage. 70 formula 400 Almost done.

aaa 70 formula.jpg

Well… if we’re time traveling back to ‘78… I was just 13. And one of my neighbors had a Rally Green A12 road runner. A guy at the other end of the block had a ‘68 L78 Chevelle. Cars like that were everywhere. So the fastest/quickest ‘78 wasn’t very impressive. At least 13 yo me didn’t think so. :)
Oh I know, we went from the fastest production cars being 400-500hp in 68, to over 200hp is exciting in 78 :lol:

Don’t get me wrong though, I love the firebirds, it’s just the latter ones, like all cars because of the party police, just didn’t have impressive performance.

Oh I know, we went from the fastest production cars being 400-500hp in 68, to over 200hp is exciting in 78 :lol:

Don’t get me wrong though, I love the firebirds, it’s just the latter ones, like all cars because of the party police, just didn’t have impressive performance.
I’m not a Pontiac or a GM guy at all. But I have to give them credit for sticking with the Trans Am. Everyone else bailed. And by ‘79 they were probably running 3 shifts.

The way to make a Pontiac move is put a 383 in it. :D

That 73 CanAm is pretty rare. Since the mid nineties I kept an eye out for one to restore if I could get it cheap enough.
never happened and too late now.
good looking car for 73 though
You'll be looking a long time for a '73 Can-Am. They were only made in 1977. :)

Here's the deal. The 73 Grand Am was GTO in all the drawings. The industry noticed a shift to personal luxury so the Grand Am was born. It had the interior from the Grand Prix and the running gear from the Trans Am hence the name. Ours has a 455 almost 500 ft/lbs of torque. There's a rumor some G/As got the SD 455 but that's mainly been discredited. They did make a 73 GTO but it was a much lesser car than the G/A. So the G/A went on until 1975 and was dropped. In '74 the GTO switched to the Ponitac Venture platform, yuck. Then in 1977 they redid the G/A, still as a lesser car, and called it a Can Am. Again the spoiler deal killed it. Very rare to see one now.

GTO3.jpg
GTO2.jpg
ga2b.jpg
to1.jpg
gto5.jpg

Last edited:
One big difference between the G/As and the lesser cars (besides the 455 option) is the front end. Even the Can-Am has the big ugly bumper. The Grand Am has a thin bumper mounted to shocks behind it. The nose could collapse and then pop back into shape. The little grilles were hinged at the top so they could also collapse.

They did a great job hiding the big ugly bumper on the front of the Grand AM cars,others should have followed their styling cues! They should have made the noses of Daytona Chargers and Superbirds they same way,federal government crash standards made them obsolete.

Last edited:
Here's the deal. The 73 Grand Am was GTO in all the drawings. The industry noticed a shift to personal luxury so the Grand Am was born. It had the interior from the Grand Prix and the running gear from the Trans Am hence the name. Ours has a 455 almost 500 ft/lbs of torque. There's a rumor some G/As got the SD 455 but that's mainly been discredited. They did make a 73 GTO but it was a much lesser car than the G/A. So the G/A went on until 1975 and was dropped. In '74 the GTO switched to the Ponitac Veture platform, yuck. Then in 1977 they redid the G/A, still as a lesser car, and called it a Can Am. Again the spoiler deal killed it. Very rare to see one now.

View attachment 1505441View attachment 1505442View attachment 1505440View attachment 1505451View attachment 1505450
Interesting thing about the ‘74 “Nova” GTO. It had a functional Shaker. The Trans Am and the Formula 455SD did not.

Here's the deal. The 73 Grand Am was GTO in all the drawings. The industry noticed a shift to personal luxury so the Grand Am was born. It had the interior from the Grand Prix and the running gear from the Trans Am hence the name. Ours has a 455 almost 500 ft/lbs of torque. There's a rumor some G/As got the SD 455 but that's mainly been discredited. They did make a 73 GTO but it was a much lesser car than the G/A. So the G/A went on until 1975 and was dropped. In '74 the GTO switched to the Ponitac Venture platform, yuck. Then in 1977 they redid the G/A, still as a lesser car, and called it a Can Am. Again the spoiler deal killed it. Very rare to see one now.

View attachment 1505441View attachment 1505442View attachment 1505440View attachment 1505451View attachment 1505450
I think that first rendering would have been over the top.

The site won't let me copy the renderings anymore but go here to see all the sketches. It is the job of the designers to go way out there and then the CEOs and bean counters bring them back to earth.

I found this rendering on the internet and through a lot of detective work I found the artist living in New Zealand. I bought some prints of this.

ga2.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back