• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Website Building Advice

BigCountryMopar

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
So I was going to see if there was anyone out there with website building experience. My wife owns her own salon. She’s got in to boutique clothes and jewelry to help bring in extra money. She wants a website to help advertise and maybe eventually lead to eccommerce. So I’ve been researching website building. I think I’ve landed on using on Wordpress and host it on site ground. But I’m totally open to advice and opinions. I’m totally diving into something I’ve never attempted. I learn pretty fast so I figured it’d be cheaper and better for me to do than someone else. Any advice, opinions, concerns, pitfalls? Thanks y’all,
Brandon

So I was going to see if there was anyone out there with website building experience. My wife owns her own salon. She’s got in to boutique clothes and jewelry to help bring in extra money. She wants a website to help advertise and maybe eventually lead to eccommerce. So I’ve been researching website building. I think I’ve landed on using on Wordpress and host it on site ground. But I’m totally open to advice and opinions. I’m totally diving into something I’ve never attempted. I learn pretty fast so I figured it’d be cheaper and better for me to do than someone else. Any advice, opinions, concerns, pitfalls? Thanks y’all,
Brandon
I've made a few using a variety of hosts. If you're not planning on selling online, your choices will work fine. One tip, learn how to HTML code or find a software that is more user friendly. Usually, from my experience, the more user friendly a website builder, the less fancy options and features that can be played with. That said, sometimes the website you're building is best kept simple.
one more thing, make sure both of those are mobile friendly software. Most people these days browse via mobile devices and there are some DIY website hosts where the software doesn't mesh well on mobile devices.

There are people out there who will do it for very reasonable prices. Save yourself the hassle and hire one.

As previously stated there are plenty of hosting sites/software that you can quickly build a website on.

You mentioned that you are contemplating an eCommerce capability in the future. Which ever solution you decide to go with just make sure that they "offer" the ability to do eCommerce ... it will save you a ton of time and expense. Almost every hosting service should offer the PayPal payment interface at a minimum ... more advanced options will require a lot of security considerations. I would just keep it simple.

Her boutique inventory changes a pretty good bit. I’m worried if I don’t build it I won’t know how to update it. And paying someone to update it weekly or twice a week might be more than we want to spend. I don’t know.

Her boutique inventory changes a pretty good bit. I’m worried if I don’t build it I won’t know how to update it. And paying someone to update it weekly or twice a week might be more than we want to spend. I don’t know.
some online store softwares can tie to your smart phone, then you simply scan the items and update them in seconds from your phone. those typically run more upfront though.

First off, she needs to hire the right stylists.

hqdefault.jpg

Ive built and maintain a website that runs a golf league in Tennessee - was a joint effort with my dad but he passed and now I run the site myself .

Keep our simple is very true, you'll keep more people and scare less away if it's easy on the eyes and doesn't have complicated navigation.

Learn HTML - if you want to use the site for stuff then you'll need a base to program the site - ASP or PHP - and probably a database to hold data .

It's not too complicated ,but if you're not a computer programmer by profession then it could be a bit scarey at times.

I've not done e-commerce do I can't speak to any of that stuff.

Kids in school can throw these things together in no time . . .

Good luck !

Ive built and maintain a website that runs a golf league in Tennessee - was a joint effort with my dad but he passed and now I run the site myself .

Keep our simple is very true, you'll keep more people and scare less away if it's easy on the eyes and doesn't have complicated navigation.

Learn HTML - if you want to use the site for stuff then you'll need a base to program the site - ASP or PHP - and probably a database to hold data .

It's not too complicated ,but if you're not a computer programmer by profession then it could be a bit scarey at times.

I've not done e-commerce do I can't speak to any of that stuff.

Kids in school can throw these things together in no time . . .

Good luck !
you know thats an idea too. Find your local highschool, talk to their Tech teacher(bet they have one or two) and see if you could get a student some extra credit to build it for you. You'd probably just have the hosting fees for the domain at that point.

To give you an idea, last one I built, hosting fees and domain fees combined ran about 180 bucks. it was a fairly basic site with an e-store embedded.

I made my most updated website by using Weebly.com pretty easy and not that expensive.
www.sunkhazeoutfitters.com (Some dates on site not updated)

The original site I built with html code. Lots of great rules and codes to do everything. Not impossible but much easier with the new web builders out there.

Good luck. If you would like more info, shoot me a pm.

No personal experience, but I’ve heard good things about squarespace.com.

Good luck.

Honestly, I’d never built a website or had ANY experience before I built ours (www.modern-nostalgia.com). It’s all done through Godaddy’s templates, and hosted by them too. I think it turned out pretty well, it obviously has ecommerce abilities, and was so smooth to set up I couldn’t believe it!

Another vote for the self-hosting version of WordPress. I maintain about 5 sites, all WP. For e-Commerce, look into WOOCommerce plugin or even some of there WP Themes.

Auto Transport Service
Back