• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weird things about my car

RT optional, and super bee Standard 68-69

no rally dash for Plymouth until it was standard in 1970

@MarPar One thing I notice on your car... it has the early production round vent pulls. The were replaced by the angular ones that said “vent” on them early in the ‘68 MY. Does your car also have the early slide down ash tray?

I have the same 383 stamping on my numbers matching 440, but someone used another stamp to cross them out and correct it. Another interesting side note is this block has a 3/67 casting date, a full year before it was assembled in 4/68. When I pulled the engine 15 years ago and degreased it, there was a hand written "67" among the brush painted on B, C, D markings.
20190406_185911.jpg

Last edited:
@MarPar One thing I notice on your car... it has the early production round vent pulls. The were replaced by the angular ones that said “vent” on them early in the ‘68 MY. Does your car also have the early slide down ash tray?

I am not the PO. I just bombed his thread :D

I have a 68 GTX

But the drivetrain serial #s started later on in the year..

Couldn't have. I just worked on a one owner 68 R/T with the same 9/67 build date and it had the partial VIN stamped on both the engine and trans. Maybe different plants had different policies regarding that practice, but it must have been done during the entire '68 production run.

Couldn't have. I just worked on a one owner 68 R/T with the same 9/67 build date and it had the partial VIN stamped on both the engine and trans. Maybe different plants had different policies regarding that practice, but it must have been done during the entire '68 production run.
I have 3 68’s from Lynch Rd. that don’t have the SON on the rad support. But a St. Louis that does. I think a lot of that number stamping was transitioning that year. By ‘69, it seems all cars got stamped.

I have 3 68’s from Lynch Rd. that don’t have the SON on the rad support. But a St. Louis that does. I think a lot of that number stamping was transitioning that year. By ‘69, it seems all cars got stamped.

My St Louis built GTX has the SON on the rad support and trunk lip, but nothing on the block by the bellhousing.

My St Louis built GTX has the SON on the rad support and trunk lip, but nothing on the block by the bellhousing.

Yeah. It seems like they were one of the first plants to implement the “hidden numbers” for LEO’s. But since all the records of the 68’s were supposedly lost in a fire... without a fender tag, BS, or window sticker, how would you connect the two?

Fender tags can be wrong. The fender tag on my '66 says the color is LL1 turquoise. In fact, the Certicard and window sticker say that as well, but there's no way that car was ever anything but white. And WW1 IS correctly listed on the IBM card, and you can see that someone tried to correct it on the window sticker. So, with mine, someone made a mistake and the mistake was copied twice. It was a St. Loius car.

upload_2021-12-31_13-50-53.png

There were a number of changes made during '68. (RC has a thread about this) I have a late April '68 car with the sliding ashtray. Not sure when that was phased out.

It would be nice of people didn’t write on the original paperwork. @64BEL Thanks for posting this again.

I looked at a 68 Coronet 500 for sale. They guy said it was a 383 4 bbl and had a stack of original paperwork. So I go look and the VIN has a G 383 2bbl engine. On the window sticker someone wrote 4bbl over the top of the 2bbl on the engine line.

The guy says, “well it is a 4 bbl engine now”.
LOL.

I kind of figured that there was other people out there with "weird things" about their cars. My car has the round vent pulls and the ashtray slides down vertically.

I have seen on some 68 RTs that the speedometer only has the 2 numbers instead of three ("15" for 150). Mine has the full 150. Whats the deal with that?

It would be nice of people didn’t write on the original paperwork. @64BEL Thanks for posting this again.
I wonder if it could even have been the dealership who wrote on the window sticker. Whomever did it tried to erase the typed LL1 before writing over it.

Yeah. It seems like they were one of the first plants to implement the “hidden numbers” for LEO’s. But since all the records of the 68’s were supposedly lost in a fire... without a fender tag, BS, or window sticker, how would you connect the two?

No way to verify unless you have the broadcast sheet. Not sure bout the window sticker.

Luckily, I have both the fender tag and broadcast sheet for mine. And they all match. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back