• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welch plug in rear of slant six.

Wallus57

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks. Is the 2 1/8" plug in the rear of the slant for the cam or for coolant? Thanks.

Could be but there should also be one there for the camshaft.

Sounds like it's cam sized.

Well if is about where the cam is that should answer that question. Picture of the back of the block would help.
I was hoping that someone with slant six experience would know what it was.

Picture of the back of the block would help.

This is primarily a 440 site, but if you could post a picture as already suggested, we may be able to help.
If the plug is directly behind the cam, it's a cam plug. Can only assume you don't know where the cam is.

Ignoring all of the obvious signs, if there is only one "Core Plug" on the rear of the block, then it is for the camshaft. You cannot install (or remove) the cam bearings without a thru-hole, so the short answer is yes, it is a cam plug...

Well if you cant supply enough information how do you expect an answer. Any decent mechanic here would of told you at first glance what it was. No matter if it was a 4, 6, 8 , or 10 cylinder motor.

This is primarily a 440 site, but if you could post a picture as already suggested, we may be able to help.
If the plug is directly behind the cam, it's a cam plug. Can only assume you don't know where the cam is.
This is true, Idon'tknow. It's off center to the right. I had to put it together anyway because the temp was dropping to finger freezing low's lol. I'll deal with the consequences if I have to. Thanks anyway.

well I could not find a pic of the rear of the slant six, here is a pic of the front.

as you can see the cam sprocket, you should be able to easily locate the rear plug.

hope that helps
1704807634260.png

It totally helps thank you. It's got to be the cam plug. Makes me feel much better since I didn't want to have a rusty frost plug in there lol. Looks like no coolant plugs in the back at all then. Thanks again!

Keep in mind the only pictures of the rear of the /6 I could find were for the old 61 aluminum blocks so I cant be absolutely positive there is not a frost plug on the steel cast blocks.

Auto Transport Service
Back