• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s your favorite wheel on a drag car?

@dvw if I may ask, Doug, what did your daisies weigh? I have 15x8 1/2 at 18 lbs, and 15x7 at 19lbs! No, I can't explain that either! (Yes , the old one piece 200s)

For what it's worth. My new Billet Specialties wheels weigh 30lbs less than the American 200S they replaced. The car didn't pick up in ET any noticeable amount.
Doug
Thanks Doug.
Like I posted, the GTO cars were probably running 12s? but more powerful engines may not "feel" the extra weight of wheels like those close to stock engines did.

With the 64 I originally started with Billet Specialty Street Lites, then to Torque Thrusts. A short stint with Pro Stars, then to Super Tricks.

These days I’ve settled on Weld Drag Lites on the 64 for the track and Cragar SS on the street cars. The Red car is my parts chaser.

IMG_4102.jpeg

IMG_9571.jpeg

IMG_3637.png

IMG_2587.png

The Drag Lites are my favourites and it sure took awhile to end up here.
IMG_3880.jpeg

With the 64 I originally started with Billet Specialty Street Lites, then to Torque Thrusts. A short stint with Pro Stars, then to Super Tricks.

These days I’ve settled on Weld Drag Lites on the 64 for the track and Cragar SS on the street cars. The Red car is my parts chaser.

View attachment 1588581

View attachment 1588580

View attachment 1588582

View attachment 1588585

View attachment 1588586

I ike the drag lites , would trade two 15x5 prostars for two 15 x5 dragstars ....

I ike the drag lites , would trade two 15x5 prostars for two 15 x5 dragstars ....
Today I swapped some front tires around. I took the opportunity to check the weights. The rims are all 15 X 3.5’s. The Hoosier tire is 28” tall, the ET FRONT is 29” tall.
IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

I like the classic looks of the supertrick, but the extra strength of the draglite for a quarter pound (really?!? that's all?) Is a no-brainer.
And that's light for a tall tire! My scale only registers to a tenth pound , but I think my centerline prostock 15x4 and Goodyear front runners 23"x5 are about the same. (Just weighed em. 21.2).
The rocket ten spokes and Firestone 5.60s street tires on my other car are 28lbs or so (memory not exact, numbers written down..... somewhere?)

Last edited:
I was able to get a good deal on a pair Weld Magnum 2.0 1 piece wheels and tires that are new. I am still undecided if I like my old 2 piece or the new 1 piece wheels better. I like them both.

20231223_140344.jpg

20231223_163758.jpg

20231223_163814.jpg

I like both, but the more open wheel looks like it might be lighter. I think I'd run the one,piece..... unless you think the two piece might be stronger for street use.
I do alot of street driving. However, both wheels say not for street use right on them. Lol.

The front pair of Fleas I have, are the only ones I've seen in 50 years. I only saw one ad with a picture of a Spyder, Fly, and Flea together, otherwise I've never seen one or a picture of them on a car. Other people have said they have some, but are always unable to post a picture that's not of mine. Rarest parts I've ever had, without any doubt... and I've had a some seriously rare stuff. Back in the mid to late 70's, I bought the last pair of aluminum front Flys, from Gapp and Roush at their shop on Schoolcraft, in Livonia Michigan. That was really big-time for me. LOL
On a side note....
After casually looking for what seems like forever, I found the Motor-Wheel ad with the "picture" of a flea. The only picture I've seen in 50 years.

Motor Wheel Flea ad.jpg

On a side note....
After casually looking for what seems like forever, I found the Motor-Wheel ad with the "picture" of a flea. The only picture I've seen in 50 years.

View attachment 1596301
I showed this advertisement to Jack and some other people from back in those days. None of them have never seen this photo before. Thanks for posting.

View attachment 1588581

View attachment 1588580

View attachment 1588582

View attachment 1588585

View attachment 1588586
I've always loved the look of drag lites. They look really really good on your car, especially with the white letter Hoosiers.

Centerline Convo Pros always seem to make a muscle car look like it's ready for action, especially when they're new, but they tend to get dull and hazy after awhile.
(not my car)
16-2.jpg

Before Centerline got bought and changed from forged wheels to cast, I scored a set of new forged Centerlines that are a hybrid of the Convo Pro with the outer convolutes and their Telstar II. It's called the Telstar II Convo or something like that. They only made them for a few years. Here they are on my '68 Sport Satellite. That 2nd photo was taken along Malibu Highway the Friday during Spring Fling weekend 2018. The lighting came out great that day.

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

Last edited:
I showed this advertisement to Jack and some other people from back in those days. None of them have never seen this photo before. Thanks for posting.
That just helps validate how rare my wheels are. Thanks.

So I had this set of Weld drag lites powder coated in Pitch black metallic. They are pretty wild out in the sun but look pretty killer. No the tires don’t match. I got an awesome deal on the rears and couldn’t force myself to pay $100 a piece more for Goodyear front runners over Mickeys. The 63 is coming right along.
IMG_9117.jpeg
IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9121.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back