• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s your favorite wheel on a drag car?

Those are EXACTLY what I alluded to in post #13. Exactly what I would put on a full out racecar(truck). Ex prostock truck?
Long story kinda. But to sum it up it started life as Pro Stock truck and the class was killed not soon after. So the that body was removed(7/8 scale version) and a steel body was hung in its place a 2000 Dakota with vin etc. It has spent life on the street and alot of time on the ISCA show circuit. Now its is back to being a racecar for now. But with power windows, domelight and of course exhaust. It is a 6.0 moly chassis

Was building a 67 post Plymouth
Drag car,but sold it.
Have these 2 rare 4 slot wheels with vintage pie crust wheels.

IMG_7655.jpeg

The old I can only afford 2 wheels look.

58D767FA-391B-4F60-AC3F-8F4FDBB4CCC2.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like the look of a bunch of the more modern front drag-wheels. It's seems the rears don't match, and that has turned me off to all the modern stuff.
Agreed. Especially, the 17" front and 15" rear look.

The 17s front, 15s rear look doesn't bother me, if it's necessary for big brakes in the front, and best choice race tires on the rear. If it's just for looks on the front.....meh.
The 20s on the front and 17s on the rear on modern ponycars makes sense too.

Always been partial to Super Tricks but also love the old Fenton slots...couldn't make up my mind one weekend.

IMG_5319.JPG

sox-marti
Honestly…… it doesn’t personally really matter to me, I think they all look good. I however would say these…… https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/american-racing-ar61-outlaw-i-silver-machined-w-clearcoat

Or these on the Sox & Martin cars…..

View attachment 1557935
sox-martin were partially sponsored by keystone , they werent as lite as the previous mentioned wheels in post 1-2-3.
the american racing wheels are cast and fairly heavy , I have a pair on the back of my barracuda , they just happen to be the perfect width and backspace to fit 295 65 d15`s in my stock(stretched only) wheel wells...

Really liked my American 200S. Wouldn't have changed them except they cracked. I thought long and hard and purchased Billet Specialties Street Lites. Like them as well but not as nostalgic.
Doug

View attachment 1558318

View attachment 1558327
sreet lites look a bunch better than coke bottle wheels , they dont look good on anything (to me) , much less on that kicka$$ 64

run
So I have a new set of red shell plugs to go in my draglites. I can’t decide if I want them in them or not though. I like the vintage look of them but I also like how they look without them. What do y’all think? I put one in this front wheel trying to figure out what I want View attachment 1560077
the plugs , I had blue ones on my 406 vega ...

Posting this again, but clean, so it's not overlooked.
Lighter weight wheels make for lower ETs, and the bigger the difference in weight, the better the improvement with the lighter wheels.
Now I would guess that the more power an engine makes, at least when you have a mill pushing 600+ HP, or maybe more importantly 600+ ft lbs torque, lighter wheels with everything else working properly may not make as much difference as the power levels of the cars I learned this from.
Royal Pontiac was running close to stock everything GTOs in the mid to late 60s, and saved at least 2/10ths in the 1320 switching from the Hurst wheels to a lighter wheel.

sox-marti

sox-martin were partially sponsored by keystone , they werent as lite as the previous mentioned wheels in post 1-2-3.
the american racing wheels are cast and fairly heavy , I have a pair on the back of my barracuda , they just happen to be the perfect width and backspace to fit 295 65 d15`s in my stock(stretched only) wheel wells...
My 1970 keystones weighed 17 pounds each .

My 1970 keystones weighed 17 pounds each .
Okay, but how wide?
I've got a pair of sixties vintage 15x8 1/2 Ansen top eliminator, (torque thrust copy) that are plenty heavy for a cast wheel, 22 lbs. Same size vintage 200s is 18 lbs.
The American outlaws referenced above, the copies of centerlines, are cast one piece, and several pounds heavier than the real thing.

Mickey Thompson PRO 5's . . . too bad they are no longer made. Second choice would be Sander Engineering Series 752 w/black machined centers.

For what it's worth. My new Billet Specialties wheels weigh 30lbs less than the American 200S they replaced. The car didn't pick up in ET any noticeable amount.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back