• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do today....other than work on your car!?

Urgent job was a decent size repair today .....the junction box at the top of a bore pump at the Quarry I look after caught fire sometime over the weekend.....pump wouldn't start. After checking the Drive, and the electronic filter unit....I checked the J/Box....only to find the damage. Took a bit of cunning to get the repairs done effectively given lack of resources. All tests out perfect now.....lucky I didn't have anything to do with that side of the pump....another company installed that lot. :D

Whoever did the original installation of the feed cables used the wrong type of cable, and it was poorly installed. I was afraid at one point that I might have to break out the shovel....digging is no fun at a Quarry.....its all rock.

BTW....that's 400 Volt 3-phase there.....and I got a tickle of the earth cable inside as a result of carbon tracking on the burnt terminal. When the pump free-wheels it can act as a generator, and push current up the cable. :eek:

:xscuseless::xscuseless:

20220502_122724.jpg
20220502_122757.jpg
20220502_123908.jpg
20220502_133317.jpg
20220502_133322.jpg
20220502_150320.jpg
20220502_155708.jpg
20220502_155703.jpg
20220502_123905.jpg

White is hot in 3 phase over there?

IIRC ours are "BOY" wires. Brown, Orange and Yellow.

IIRC white is never hot over here. Always neutral.

Put a new stator in one of my motorcycles yesterday. My voltmeter had been dropping pretty consistently and when I did a stator test, I'm supposed to get 48-52VAC across any two legs (it's a 3 phase AC stator) at 2,000 rpm.

I got 6VAC.

Ordered the part and the gasket a couple weeks ago, and they finally arrived. Removed the shifter, and the primary cover. Removed the clutch basket and primary chain and the rotor (including the "no sharp blows", 250 lb-ft crankshaft nut - ugh), and removed and replaced the stator. Zipped the 4 mounting screws in (T27). Reinstalled the rotor, clutch basket, primary chain, torqued the crank nut to 250ish (no torque wrench that goes that high, but a breaker bar with a pipe extension should suffice, after maxing my 150 lb-ft torque wrench), installed the cover, set the primary slack, set the clutch slack, filled it all up. Went to the electrical side of things and verified no shorts in the wiring from the stator plug to the regulator; verified good continuity along the same wires; fabricated a new stator connector (the old one had turned to charcoal from some arc issues that I never caught), out of a submersible pump connector with screw terminals instead of a Deutsch connector. Fired it up, tested outputs, 56VAC across any 2 legs so that's good. Took it on a shakedown ride and the gauge was where it belonged, regardless of load - high beams, aux lights, heated grips, heated jacket, GPS, engine cooling fan...not so much as a blip. Good, solid charging. Regulator (an upgraded MOSFET unit I installed a few years ago) is doing fine, with no issues.

Thinking on the shakedown...."did I torque those four stator screws?"

Answer is....after much thinking....negative. I did not. I zipped them in with my screw gun, but did not hand-torque them.

DAMMIT.

Electrically it's all good...but I get to tear it apart again tonight just to torque those four screws. It ALL has to come apart to do it, they are the FIRST four screws I put in for reassembly. It ran fine, it sounded fine...but I don't need one of those backing out and shorting my new stator, or damaging the rotor...

<sigh...> At least the electrical side is done, and all I have to do is mechanical stuff...

Picked this up from the side of the road a couple of days ago and thought about just scraping it but figured why not plug it in and see. Nutin. Found the motor reset button and bingo. Regulator gauge is mashed but it pumped up and shut down and repeated so, advertised it for 85 and got 75 bucks. Not bad for not doing hardly anything. A guy came out today and got it. It's crazy what people throw away!

IMG_20220501_124237656.jpg IMG_20220501_124404878.jpg IMG_20220501_124425295.jpg

@Triplegreen500 I know about that story!! Been there a few times myself lol

Urgent job was a decent size repair today .....the junction box at the top of a bore pump at the Quarry I look after caught fire sometime over the weekend.....pump wouldn't start. After checking the Drive, and the electronic filter unit....I checked the J/Box....only to find the damage. Took a bit of cunning to get the repairs done effectively given lack of resources. All tests out perfect now.....lucky I didn't have anything to do with that side of the pump....another company installed that lot. :D

Whoever did the original installation of the feed cables used the wrong type of cable, and it was poorly installed. I was afraid at one point that I might have to break out the shovel....digging is no fun at a Quarry.....its all rock.

BTW....that's 400 Volt 3-phase there.....and I got a tickle of the earth cable inside as a result of carbon tracking on the burnt terminal. When the pump free-wheels it can act as a generator, and push current up the cable. :eek:

:xscuseless::xscuseless:

View attachment 1278816 View attachment 1278817 View attachment 1278818 View attachment 1278819 View attachment 1278820 View attachment 1278821 View attachment 1278822 View attachment 1278823 View attachment 1278824
Hey those hacks keep us busy though, eh?:D:D:D

Speaking of VFDs, I did a final walk-through this morning for a project we completed. Customer's happy, so we're happy...and I think I'll keep the JW that ran the conduit:)
DSCN0139.JPG

DSCN0132.JPG

DSCN0134.JPG

No pics yet but wife and I decided it was time to replace the 20 year old carpet, vinyl, and tile with luxury vinyl plank. Being the masochists we are, we're doing the demo and install ourselves. This weekend we tore out all the carpeting, baseboards, and vinyl; about 1600 sq ft. Still need to demo the ceramic tile in the kitchen.

Arrived in Utah last night. My son and I are both competing in a Shooting match here on Saturday. We will be going to the range the next couple of days so I can decide which one of his pistols that I want to use for the competition. I decided not to bring mine. We are looking forward to the match as this is the first time we have competed together in a match !
Good luck
or I should say
how did you guys do ?

Had a prairie dog that the vet said had some mild congestion.....no meds for him though and he died the next morning. :(
sorry to hear that, always tough to loose a fur baby

sorry to hear that, always tough to loose a fur baby
He was a good one too. He was a 'rehome' but I call it a rescue because he was in a place with nothing to do....not even a wheel was in his cage and he didn't like where he was and was pissed off. After 2 visits I told the owner to put him in my pet carrier (like I said, he was pissed off lol) and we brought him home. It took him less than a day to fall in love with his new surroundings and became a totally different guy. Couldn't believe how fast he changed!

White is hot in 3 phase over there?

IIRC ours are "BOY" wires. Brown, Orange and Yellow.

IIRC white is never hot over here. Always neutral.
Red, White and Blue.....I thought you guys would like that. :lol:

It used to be Red, Yellow and Blue, but since the International move to colour the Earth conductor Green/Yellow, we had to change to White. Mainly because of easy identification, and possibility of pigment fade in the plastic insulation.

Single phase colouring over here is - Red, Black & Green/Yellow for fixed cable. For flexible conductors it is now Brown (Live), Blue (Neutral) and Green/Yellow for the Earth conductor. Having said that, there are still some flexibles that retain the Red, Black and Green.

Working on Chinese equipment can be a nightmare.....they use any colour that looks nice. :rofl:

Just past the big toe looks like a skin looks wrinkled fender. Didn't look like that before.
Today got it fixed. Number 1 Metararsal to big toe joint dislocated. Numbed up the area popped it back together. The bad news small bone chip so 6 weeks with a boot if I'm on my feet. Can't drive.

My son won his division ! I did pretty good, but there was some stiff competition in my division.
Tell him congrats for the win, from Us here...

always great to have a 'dead eye' shot in the family :elmer:

Decided aircraft **** could wait another day..or two... cleaned out another garage bay pretty much. What is supposed to be my "clean room"! Most of it #2 Daughter's wood working scraps and crap.
workshopaircraftcleanout 084.jpg
workshopaircraftcleanout 080.jpg
workshopaircraftcleanout 091.jpg
workshopaircraftcleanout 092.jpg

Watching the rain fall. Streets flooded curb high in a few minutes. I would hate to see this for 40 days and 40 nights.

IMG_20220502_190403985.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back