• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do the numbers people think about this?

Sedbld

Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
557AF8C4-AE7D-44E9-BC9E-82DA4C2E1C3A.jpeg
1DB8F08D-F7D1-4BA6-89B9-C0EDBAE60523.jpeg
4FF2D1BB-11BE-42B9-8634-E56CB7183F0B.jpeg
Hi all. Got this back from the machine shop couple weeks ago and just want to see what everyone thinks about these numbers. This is a 1971 440 six barrel engine that was in a 69 Roadrunner that a guy asked me to get running. Supposedly rebuilt by who knows. Got it running and no oil pressure. Pulled apart and was missing the oil galley plug behind the timing cover. Not being sure of the quality of the rebuild he bought another engine and I received this one as part of payment. I agreed being fascinated with the 10-31-69 block casting date. Happy Halloween !!! It is according to the pad numbers a 71 440 HP2 engine which it does have the heavier rods with correct balancer and 71 cylinder heads.

Just want to see what some of you think about the numbers that are on it since there’s a year difference. I have read several articles that back in the day Ma Mopar casted many blocks and then pulled some aside for HP assembly at later dates. Not sure if it’s true but the numbers on this block sure seem to support that.

Anyone have any thoughts on it??

There is no difference in the block from a standard 440 to and HP. They were HP because of the parts put inside when built. The block was stamped after they were assembled engines.

They could leave them sit for a year or use them right away for a standard or and HP.

Does not seem likely to skip the whole 70 model year of production. The VIN on the block could shed some light on possibilities.

Pan rail stamp looks fishy to me. Wrong font, numbers have different depths. The stamps were loaded together on a holder and "One Whack" applied.

cast in oct 69, assembled in oct 70........slightly under 1 year apart

cast in oct 69, assembled in oct 70........slightly under 1 year apart

With a late January 1971 VIN (1F168138) from the Newark (F) plant.

Newark built full size Dodge and Plymouths. I don't think the E86 HP was available in full size Dodges other than 'cop' cars. The HP 440 was available in full size Furys and was standard in the Sport Fury GT.

Cast in 10/69.
Assembled 10/70
Installed 1/71
Out of a full size Dodge or Plymouth.

Last edited:
Cast in 10/69.
Assembled 9/70
Installed 1/71
Out of a full size Dodge or Plymouth.

Anyone think this could have been a warranty block (no tag?) and the dealer did some stamping on it?

Anyone think this could have been a warranty block (no tag?) and the dealer did some stamping on it?

The assembly was already three months ahead of the VIN (Oct. assembly with a January VIN.) Meaning a warranty block would have been installed AFTER January meaning the assembly to install window gets longer.

Chrysler engine blocks were racked outside
at the casting plant and left to "season" for
up to a year before final machining.
Chrysler_Foundries_Block_Castings_Engines_Page_54.jpg

I had a 383 motor that was cast in 69 and assembled in 71, I thought it odd at the time, but it certainly could’ve been at the back of the rack and not used until 71.

I have seen pics of blocks stacked like wood to season and that definitely makes good sense. I also don’t like the F in the vin as it’s much deeper than the rest. Just think it’s a little weird not something you run across everyday. I really like the fact that was cast on Halloween of 69. Put it in an orange and black car would be a fitting combination. Anyone have an engine cast on this date????? Thanks guys

Auto Transport Service
Back