• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do when it is 108 degrees out ?

On the job, we used to have some guidelines on working in hot weather. At some point, there is a requirement to have a "Heat relief station", essentially a covered area with water available. At 100 degrees, it was optional for the employees to quit working. At 105, it was mandatory to end the work day.

On the job, we used to have some guidelines on working in hot weather. At some point, there is a requirement to have a "Heat relief station", essentially a covered area with water available. At 100 degrees, it was optional for the employees to quit working. At 105, it was mandatory to end the work day.
That's probably based on a "wet bulb" reading. Cant remember the exact temps, but when I was a Drll Sgt in '89, we used a wet bulb and had to give the soldiers breaks every so often based on the reading.

Livingston is just up the road from me. FWIW, there's a swap meet in Turlock tomorrow.
Ahh the old Turlock Car swap meet. Almost bought a tube-chassis '69 Dart there one year; it was a roller, green with a white butt stripe, sitting on a trailer for $1000. Still kick myself for not getting it. But, the last time I went (2005?) my nice '96 S-10 Blazer 4x4 mysteriously erupted into flames under the hood, when me and my buddy stopped at the Circle-K for drinks. Came out of the store, saw smoke streaming out through the grill, and then, poof.

I only mention humidity because I have been eyeballin the weather in Texas and Tennessee since I am still looking to move out of this state someday. I wanted to visit Tennessee this late Summer to actually feel the worst of their weather to see if it is something that I can deal with. I may be over-thinking that though. For example, if I am compelled to stay inside here when it is 110 and dry, that is really no different than being in Knoxville and staying indoors when it is 95 degrees and 80 % humidity.
Knoxville (an hour and a half west of here) is at a lower elevation than us, so they typically run a little warmer.
For the next week, however, we're solidly in the typical summer weather pattern - highs in the 80's, lows in the 60's,
humidity from 40-50% and a chance of scattered thunderstorms every afternoon.
We get a good 90's heat wave once or twice a summer, but it's not normal...
When an afternoon isolated thunderboomer rolls through, temps drop into the 70's immediately, leading to
a nice evening, too.

Ice cold beer.
:thumbsup:
upload_2020-8-16_12-48-54.gif

Ahh the old Turlock Car swap meet. Almost bought a tube-chassis '69 Dart there one year; it was a roller, green with a white butt stripe, sitting on a trailer for $1000. Still kick myself for not getting it. But, the last time I went (2005?) my nice '96 S-10 Blazer 4x4 mysteriously erupted into flames under the hood, when me and my buddy stopped at the Circle-K for drinks. Came out of the store, saw smoke streaming out through the grill, and then, poof.

Yikes!

Spent a few hours there this morning. Wasn't bad for being August and a virus. My buddy forgot to turn off the headlights, so we had to get a jump to get home.

Been really hot in southern Nevada this summer.Temp in the afternoon on my back porch has been 120+ for weeks now .
And guess what ? yep, the house A/C took a dump last week. $7000 later and all is well now.
The old saying is "There is not perfect place to live.Just some are better than others".

this helps, my neighbors

I didn't even have to pay for it :bananadance:

Sonora Neighbors new pool.JPG

Yes, there are a few times a year we do enjoy our pool, right now is one of them.
Also had a short blackout yesterday.
6 pack on ice, little 18v radio, loving it.

My boy and his doggie a couple of days before he went to boot camp.
72xbv5R52-dbE-wZqgI0PpGKgfhv6VmPw4FgCN7WOjpZekvIhHIcVq8-UMnRR_U_kzQAGUtX=w834-h625-no?authuser=0.jpg

I was out there again today. I went to a Pick-N-Pull yard and got a set of rear drum brakes from a '86 Fifth Avenue. The man took pity and only charged me $65. The last set I bought a few months back was over $100 !

108°? Do a roof job. I've done about 5 roof jobs in my tenure. And EVERY time it's 108°. I hate Murphy and his damn freaking laws!

I agree...Murphy can be a bit of a dick. ;)

As a commercial fuel hauler who drives at night guess where I always seem to pass commercial wide loads...yup at the most narrow points on a completely barren HWY....tight corners or at the one friggin narrow bridge crossing!!:rolleyes:

I decided to stay in the rest of the day. I'm going to practice being retired.

What to do when it's 108? Visit Colorado. It's been hot for a week. Low 80s peak temp. Low 50's at night.

Auto Transport Service
Back