• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you do when it is 108 degrees out ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Hey! Let's do a motor swap!

5 8 mikee.JPG

This guy.....I painted the car in 2015. He hasn't driven it much since then. A few thousand miles maybe. This car has seen more engines than a NASCAR team. The guy's dad is a Mopar gearhead but has some spotty luck with engines. The latest 360 in this one blew a head gasket a couple of months ago.
1 val 1.jpg

It had good '308 heads and approx 9.5 compression. Air Gap intake, Holley 770. It ran pretty strong until PFFFFtttttt!

The guys pulled it yesterday after test fitting some tri-Y headers. The headers required some sheet metal clearance mods since they are 67-76 headers being used in a '64 Valiant.
The driver's side cleared by a mile since they changed over to a Magnum Force front suspension and did away with the steering box and torsion bars.

1 val 2.jpg

Now the replacement 360 is in. It is about 102 degrees at this point. The garage is facing North and is shaded so it isn't as bad as it could be.

1 val 3.jpg

1 val 4.jpg

We went inside to eat a pizza. When we came back out, it was 107 degrees. After being inside about an hour, the garage felt like an oven.
I drove this:

1 val 6.jpg

1 val 7.jpg

As I rolled on home, the thermometer in my rear view mirror display went between 107 and 111 degrees. The car ran great. It edged up to 200 but didn't go over. Since I have been distracted with my other projects, I have YET to charge the A/C. Driving with the windows down mas marginally helpful since hot, dry air is not much relief.
I work outside and am generally used to adapting to the temperature but holeeee ****, this is too hot for me. I came home and stayed inside!

Come on over to Phoenix kd. We have had 34plus days of 110 and above.

Oooof. No thanks. I have In-Laws in Phoenix and Scottsdale. We only visit that state in the Winter!

In my garage daily working on my Coronet. Current setup w electric fans on 496 engine gets to 220 degrees. Thankfully a/c vent temps stay 40° steady.
Screenshot_20200814-185534_The Weather Channel.jpg

Preach it! Been finishing up my new build and getting it in and going, during what has shaped up to be the hottest part of this summer so far...thank goodness for the swimmin' pool!

About an hour and twenty north of my place...welcome to the central valley summer!
What is winter like here? There is a breeze blowing here that reminds me of the rush of air you get when you open the oven.
This is the cabin temperature in my sleeper. Thank God for the AC in the Motel 6.

20200815_163441.jpg

What is winter like here? There is a breeze blowing here that reminds me of the rush of air you get when you open the oven.
This is the cabin temperature in my sleeper. Thank God for the AC in the Motel 6.

View attachment 989480
'Severe cold' for us is overnight lows in the 20s with day temps in the 40s. Winters are usually in the 50s in the afternoon unless we're buried under that damn fog..10" of rain a year is about average. But, that's good for me, year-round mopar weather!

'Severe cold' for us is overnight lows in the 20s with day temps in the 40s. Winters are usually in the 50s in the afternoon unless we're buried under that damn fog..10" of rain a year is about average. But, that's good for me, year-round mopar weather!
Hard to drive a high compression big block when it's 110 degrees outside.

108f; Wife and I by the pool---empty nesters. Ice cold beer.

We are in Rancho Cucamonga.

Nice right now. the high 80s.

upload_2020-8-15_21-31-51.png

Hard to drive a high compression big block when it's 110 degrees outside.
Yeah, mine is just a bit over 10 to 1. No detonation today though. I was quite impressed. It ran like it does in 60 degree weather.
By the way, while we do get some hot weather, the norm is between 19-22 days of 100 degrees or warmer per year. While it seems of little comfort, the humidity is a lot less though, rarely going over 35% when it is hot.
I only mention humidity because I have been eyeballin the weather in Texas and Tennessee since I am still looking to move out of this state someday. I wanted to visit Tennessee this late Summer to actually feel the worst of their weather to see if it is something that I can deal with. I may be over-thinking that though. For example, if I am compelled to stay inside here when it is 110 and dry, that is really no different than being in Knoxville and staying indoors when it is 95 degrees and 80 % humidity.

Auto Transport Service
Back