• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think this mark is?

WesleyK

Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
ok guys, I’m putting the factory marks back on my 68- 742, case. This Mark was under the grime and this is the best pic I have of it. Any ideas what it could be. I’ve seen X’s and stuff but no clue as to what this could be. Any ideas?

9EA10BA0-BAC4-46D1-BB4F-0B72154829A9.jpeg

it looks like a 6?. an upside down 9?.or a short case b,perhaps?.my 2 cents.

On the backside of the pumpkin, is there a "B" written on the housing? Just thinking outside of the box, but many of the rear axle assemblies would have a large upper case "B" hand written on the housing identifying the B-Body application. Possibly a new employee on the line that day misunderstood the destination and put a lower case "b" on the chunk. Personally, I cannot identify the marking 100%. Is this the original rear end and chunk for the car?

Yeah it’s the original one to my Bee. Mine has the D on the back of the housing which was to indicate the 68 model year. I’m leaning towards a lower case b at the moment.

It is hard to say, the "D" on the back side usually represents the earlier and mid-year 68 model year B-Body designation and changed later in the 68 production run to the "B". You have the documentation for the rear carrier, so that is what is most important in placing the mark back on the carrier.

Looks like cursive, so it's probably a letter rather than a number. I would say it's a b.

If it's right side up in the pic, that's a serious loop at the lower left to start a lowercase b. It doesn't seem natural when writing a b. I would just start at the top, down, to the right, nothing on the left.

What about a poorly formed X written quickly and they ran out of space.
It seems to make sense to start at the top, and if so it looks like the only direction to go is down and to the left making that small loop, then back to the right making the larger loop. Almost like a figure eight at the bottom.

The line appears thicker, so either the starting point, or went over twice.

Having trouble 'air' writing this shape.

Soak it with Evaporust, even if there isn't rust visible it brings out paint very well and doesn't remove it.

If it's right side up in the pic, that's a serious loop at the lower left to start a lowercase b. It doesn't seem natural when writing a b. I would just start at the top, down, to the right, nothing on the le
What about a poorly formed X written quickly and they ran out of space.
It seems to make sense to start at the top, and if so it looks like the only direction to go is down and to the left making nthat small loop, then back to the right making the larger loop. Almost like a figure eight at the bottom.

The line appears thicker, so either the starting point, or went over twice.

Having trouble 'air' writing this shape.

Soak it with Evaporust, even if there isn't rust visible it brings out paint very well and doesn't remove it.
yeah that little loop is what’s been throwing me off. It’s rust free now and as I soaked it the image never really changed to reveal anything else. I’m just gonna copy it as is and let it be I think.

Auto Transport Service
Back