• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does a shop charge for front end rebuild?

Love the educational posts.
Never knew a Chrysler power steering box can turn into a completely different manual box, by simply deleting the pump.
Same Sames!
:thumbsup:

A lot of people do this. (Not that it makes it right) However I don't see how this is a Hazzard. The steering works the same with or without the pump, just no power.
and these cars came standard without it. So how is it different.
It's the sloppiness from the old ball joints and everything else that's the scary part, and that's why it's going in.

Last edited:
That sounds about right because a mopar in my opinion is a little more challenging than a Chevrolet design of the same year. I got a quote on a 70 Camaro for 25 to 3000 as well and that was just the front.

Labors getting very expensive especially with these older cars because nowadays it’s not really a rebuild. It’s more of a restoration process I somehow thought don’t know if they’re really going to powder coat them. I find that hard to believe but tLabor is getting very expensive especially with these older cars because nowadays it’s not really a rebuild. It’s more of a restoration process I somehow though don’t know if they’re really going to powder coat them. I find that hard to believe but then again I don’t know what kind of shop that is They could because I’ve never really heard of anybody powder coating steering parts on a rebuild but I guess

Ok guys, I’m an ASE master auto technician, I’ve done alignments for Years.

your steering is not just like manual steering at all. LOL Yes I am well aware of what it feels like without a pump, fix you steering, it is a problem

as stated in post # 16 caster and camber can be set just fine, the toe is the problem. And any shop that would align this guys car you don’t want them working on your car.

this car is friggin Dangerous with no pump on it. The Liability on this isn’t worth it For a shop owner.

What is the year make and model of your car?

I restore and coat suspension parts all the time. It's not unusual, though most are done back to factory colors.

FB_IMG_1654882185295.jpg20220509_130353.jpgIMG_2506.jpg

Labor rate X the hours to do it. 6 hours + alignment @ $100+ an hour?
6 hours to disassemble, clean, blast , powder coat, reassemble an entire front suspension in 6 hours ,,,, Not a snowballs chance that can be done.

6 hours to disassemble, clean, blast , powder coat, reassemble an entire front suspension in 6 hours ,,,, Not a snowballs chance that can be done.
I was talking about the parts replacement only. + alignment. Who knows how much they charge for powder coat. That's probably 50-$75/hour by itself for all the blasting, coating and baking.

I was talking about the parts replacement only. + alignment. Who knows how much they charge for powder coat. That's probably 50-$75/hour by itself for all the blasting, coating and baking.
I've done three complete O/H's so far this year.... I'm not as fast as I use to be but I'm still pretty efficient, I have specialized tools & hard earned techniques... Six hours ain't getting it done... Minimum of 8-10 is more realistic... Add cleaning & powder coating and that triggers considerable downtime, tying up my rack or forcing me to rig a way to move the vehicle with no suspension. And still I'm storing a vehicle.. Both my flat space & my lift space are valuable, they makes me money, tie up my space & I need to be compensated.. Consider that when placing a price on the job..

Power steering with no pump is NOT the same as manual steering.

It is MUCH more difficult to steer.

...but not necessary for an alignment.

If you have money to powder coat replacement parts, do you have money to fix the steering?

Last edited:
I've done three complete O/H's so far this year.... I'm not as fast as I use to be but I'm still pretty efficient, I have specialized tools & hard earned techniques... Six hours ain't getting it done... Minimum of 8-10 is more realistic... Add cleaning & powder coating and that triggers considerable downtime, tying up my rack or forcing me to rig a way to move the vehicle with no suspension. And still I'm storing a vehicle.. Both my flat space & my lift space are valuable, they makes me money, tie up my space & I need to be compensated.. Consider that when placing a price on the job..
Mine was done in a 8 hour day including the alignment but I helped with the process. I am not fast but more half fast. LOL And no, there was cleaning but no painting or powder coating.

For me doing it in my driveway and not having all the special tools, only had to take it to a shop get an alignment. I figured time and shop fees help ease the cost of QA1.

I replaced upper and lower control arm with QA1. Just remove old, cleaned mounting points and put new on that already had bushings and u-joints installed, this also increased caster for better handling. Also replaced torsion bars with bigger as stock was bars for 318 and too soft for me. Replacing tie rod ends, control rod and sway bar bushings finished it out (Moog).

Replacement power steering boxes have also been a headache. Remanufactured from Autozone and RockAuto had problems (one leaked and other had too much play) so broke down and went with Firm Feel box with new idler and control arm.

I consider myself a fairly competent wrench, but full disassembly, rebushing and reassembly of the suspension of a 50 year old car in 6 hours would be tough.

I was quoted $2500.00 - $3000.00!

This seems high. They did state that all the parts all get powder coated, includes the alignment... and it includes some part that is mostly missed by shops that is Mopar related (whatever that is?)
They said the use Moog parts, that they acquire of course, for warranty reasons.

Also I removed my power steering. Should that be reinstalled for a rebuild?

Thanks!
For all that? Get it done.

It would be a 2 weekend job for me. I'd spend 6 hours just cleaning and repainting parts.

Driving it without a pump isn't as bad as you'd think... as long as you're moving. No different than the belt snapping or something like that. People take the belt off to save a couple HP too. As I've said I know others that have done the same thing without issue.
However I am going to replace the pump today before it gets taken in.
Btw... I think they said they send the parts out to be powder coated, so the parts are ready when I arrive. They are using a Moog upper control arm from what I understand that is the only way they'll warranty thier services Unfortunately.

I will know shortly. I take my car in Tuesday to replace all of the upper and lower control arm bushings. No cleaning or painting involved, just parts replacement, alignment and wheel balance.

I did this on my 70RR 7 years ago for $1100 plus parts (moog). Honest and skilled alignments only shop in Fairfield NJ that knows old cars, only do front ends. He finished in 3 days while working on other stuff. Drives great. I think he is retired now but trained his nephew to take over the shop last I heard.

3000 does not surprise me for a shop that is not as familiar with these cars as it is a very labor intensive job. He had a pit in his shop for front end work which made it easier.

I would suggest replacing the steering box with one that is either truly manual or one of the firm feel power designs from one of the forum supported suppliers. You have a few modern choices. Old boxes have too much play. That may be why you took the belt off. Spend some extra money and do the complete job. You may also grease the universal on the steering column.

Auto Transport Service
Back