• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Happens When a Rivian EV Runs Out of Battery Charge?

I heard at highway speeds that the Rivian changes its suspension geometry and it wears out the front tires in 10,000 miles.

It's funny to me this is how things have gone.
I recall as a young man there were some Honda's in the 80's that were rated at around 50mpg. Except there were tons of owner accounts of the car getting upwards of 70mpg(in the right driving condition, like flat roads, no wind, right elevation and quality of gas) and I do recall reading one guy reporting out on his trip where he managed 82mpg on one of his fill ups. The car was like, 0-60 in 15 seconds but still.
I like to imagine sometimes where that engine design would have gone with modern CPU control, direct injection and ignition control, that type of thing. Probably could maintain the MPG and half again on top the HP. Would 0-60 in 9 seconds be that bad for a car capable of 70mpg? But we don't want that I guess.
Kind of like setting up the requirements for auto makers that make it impossible to make a compact truck now. I recall my buddies 84 Ranger(2wd) 4cyl TRUCK getting 30mpg with a fiberglass topper(camper shell, bed cap, whatever people call it in your area) on longer trips. It had a 6.5' long box. That was with a 70's design Ford lima(pronounced LAME....UH) engine. We used it to pull the aluminum fishing boat around to launch and still got 20mpg.

Buuuuuutttt, no way that would be satisfactory. Better to wear out tires at 10k miles (seriously LOL) so we can add the expensive special tires for the heavy vehicle to that fire in the middle east.
Every single plan/law/"bill" I hear about lately that has the words "safety" or "green" worked into them are new things to take away choice, make something illegal, strip a freedom, and generally make life worse. I wish they would let these manufacturers build the vehicle that makes sense, even if it starts as a hybrid or something. Free market would do wonders towards shaping a design I think. Let these things show up organically, even if it takes 30 years. At least we wouldn't be forced into a bunch of JUNK.

I recall as a young man there were some Honda's in the 80's that were rated at around 50mpg. Except there were tons of owner accounts of the car getting upwards of 70mpg(in the right driving condition, like flat roads, no wind, right elevation and quality of gas) and I do recall reading one guy reporting out on his trip where he managed 82mpg on one of his fill ups. The car was like, 0-60 in 15 seconds but still.

I had a 1980ish VW Rabbit diesel that got at least 50 mpg

In 1985, I sold new cars. One of the dealerships that I worked was a Chevrolet and they had the Suzuki built "Sprint", later it was called a Geo Metro.
Those were tin cans. They didn't weigh much. 1.0 liter 3 cylinder, 5 speed and it was a 50 mpg car. This was 38 years ago. No air bags, no crumple zones, very simple and fuel efficient.

Edited to add the following:

Chevrolet Sprint (man. 5) , model year 1985, version for North America U.S. (up to September):

Last edited:
Can that $83,000 truck/golf cart tow a 28ft enclosed trailer 300 miles without stopping?
My $10,000 diesel pickup can. So can my $6000 box truck.

Can that $83,000 truck/golf cart tow a 28ft enclosed trailer 300 miles without stopping?
My $10,000 diesel pickup can. So can my $6000 box truck.
Yeah but neither one of those vehicles is welcome here in California.... Go Green or Go Home....

Uhhhhh Okay!!! Bye!!!!!

I like to imagine sometimes where that engine design would have gone with modern CPU control, direct injection and ignition control, that type of thing. Probably could maintain the MPG and half again on top the HP. Would 0-60 in 9 seconds be that bad for a car capable of 70mpg? But we don't want that I guess.
Kind of like setting up the requirements for auto makers that make it impossible to make a compact truck now. I recall my buddies 84 Ranger(2wd) 4cyl TRUCK getting 30mpg with a fiberglass topper(camper shell, bed cap, whatever people call it in your area) on longer trips. It had a 6.5' long box. That was with a 70's design Ford lima(pronounced LAME....UH) engine. We used it to pull the aluminum fishing boat around to launch and still got 20mpg.

Buuuuuutttt, no way that would be satisfactory. Better to wear out tires at 10k miles (seriously LOL) so we can add the expensive special tires for the heavy vehicle to that fire in the middle east.
Every single plan/law/"bill" I hear about lately that has the words "safety" or "green" worked into them are new things to take away choice, make something illegal, strip a freedom, and generally make life worse. I wish they would let these manufacturers build the vehicle that makes sense, even if it starts as a hybrid or something. Free market would do wonders towards shaping a design I think. Let these things show up organically, even if it takes 30 years. At least we wouldn't be forced into a bunch of JUNK.
I heard it was called the Honda CRX with a 1.3.

My son had a 90’s Jetta that did as well. All of the European manufacturers offered diesel cars until the manufacturers were forced to put emissions crap on them that killed the mileage. At the same time came reformulated diesel fuel which hiked prices and suddenly, efficient diesel powered cars disappeared. Government regulations at its finest s. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I drove a chevy Chevette diesel in the early 80's that got over 50 mpg, but just like the Rabbit you had to take a run at hills, pretty miserable to drive except on level roads. Plus the Chevette could not be ordered with A/C

I have a 2019 VW Jetta that I bought as a relatively inexpensive commuter car. My commute to work is mostly country roads with only a few stop lights or stop signs. I drive between 45 and 55mph the whole way. It is 26 miles each way to work. The Jetta will average 50-55mpg on the drive (at least according to the onboard computer).

Driving manners and the way we must drive new cars like an Ev has to change, new generations of cars demands different ways, I read the entire article and IMO was the drivers fault, not the truck an Ev is not ment to run completely out of charge, this are new way, besides what's the point of all the test ? To prove the capabilities of the Ev or to prove that the driver is an idiot for not recharge the truck?

Last edited:
Driving manners and the way we must drive new cars like an Ev has to change, new generations of cars demands different ways, I read the entire article and IMO was the drivers fault, not the truck an Ev is not ment to run completely out of charge, this are new way, besides what's the point of all the test ? To prove the capabilities of the Ev or to prove that the driver is an idiot for not recharge the truck?
He'd already proven he's an idiot by driving a vehicle that can't be refueled in five minutes or less...

EV's, for when you absolutely positively don't need to get there overnight....

Yeah but neither one of those vehicles is welcome here in California.... Go Green or Go Home....

Uhhhhh Okay!!! Bye!!!!!
I LOVE parking my box truck in my driveway in california, with its Arizona plates and current registration thru 2025. A big FU to the ultra liberal green weenies in my small college town.
California rules pushed it out of state. I brought it back.

I would still like to find a Rabbit diesel pickup in nice shape.
My dad bought a VW Dasher diesel (a rabbit station wagon) back around 1980. That was his car, then it became my older sisters car, then it became mine. We drove the wheels off that thing. After 20+ years, the entire car essential disintegrated around a perfectly functioning drivetrain.

I would still like to find a Rabbit diesel pickup in nice shape.
A friend of mine bought one a few years ago and sold it immediately. It was painfully S-L-O-W.

My 97 2500 Club Cab LWB diesel powered pickup which weighs just over 6000 lbs has knocked down 25mpg before the bio crap showed up....and I've never had any problems pulling heavy stuff with it except for wearing out the original 3.55 gears. I attribute some of that wear to doing burnouts with it :D

Auto Transport Service
Back