• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What modifications for your car have you kept putting off ?

What an Awesome Build !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks....It's what I did for a living.
x_fmtv_27609.jpg

Wheels and tires? Brakes? New seats?

View attachment 1560820

For me, a finished car is never done. I'm not alone in this feeling.
Years ago, I put a tilt steering column in my FrankenDuster....

View attachment 1560821

I have 2 more of the same model columns, both from floor shift 76-78 Cordobas. I like the adjustability of these things. Some cutting and welding is required to make them work but so what? That is hot rodding, right?
What about you?
I am about done wrenching on my old cars. I do have a LD4B and a 650 AVS2 to go on the 318 in my Swinger but why go through the work. The stock 2 barrel works great and get's me almost 20mpg. on the highway. Why mess with it. I don't need to burn tires for a city block. I grew out of that long ago.

20150810_110008.jpg

This is sad to read. I thought hot rodders never die.
A 40 year old lower back injury doesn't help my mobility. Bending over a fender is no fun and getting up and down on a creeper is even worse.

Installing pass side mirror with the right patina for the car that I found to help combat the idiots on the road. I was passed on the shoulder from two cars back among other things. Never saw the guy and was close to my exit and could’ve hit a sumbitch like that.

replacing the sticky wheel cylinder

A 40 year old lower back injury doesn't help my mobility. Bending over a fender is no fun and getting up and down on a creeper is even worse.
I have all kinds of serious injuries and can relate. It won't stop me from doing long burnouts, though.
1700683141263.png

Need to replace the front suspension bushings on my Satellite. Finally got all the parts together around the end of the summer, but been busy with other things. DS UCA bushings are showing some deterioration although the car still tracks straight. The others look OK, but going to do them all. I also sourced some original triangular sway bar brackets, along with an extra bar, from a member here so I plan to swap the brackets for the aftermarket ones on there now. Thinking I'll dive into that while I have a week off over the Christmas break. Goal is to crank through it and not miss out on too much winter cruising time. Too hot and rainy to drive it much in the summer, but it's also hot working in the garage. Didn't use to bother me as much, but it wears me out a lot faster as I've gotten older.

Bigger picture, I've been wanting to have some moderate body / paint work done for some time now. I was close to pulling the trigger on it in 2013 then the wife got sick and haven't come up with the $$$ since. Car still presents reasonably well, but it's not a beauty queen anymore. There are some rust bubbles starting on the PS door and DS rear quarter panel and a small hole forming in the DS floor plus 30+ yrs of chips, scratches, etc. in the paint. I'd like to pull the engine to give it a thorough check, fresh gaskets and repaint while I'm at.

Then there's getting my Belvedere convertible back on the road. The mostly original body & paint aren't too bad so don't think I'll do a full resto on it at this point. I'd be happy to finish going through the drivetrain, suspension and brakes, put a new top on it, then polish it up and enjoy it as is.

The car projects tend to suffer between work, house/yard upkeep and weekends spent traveling or doing things the wife wants to do. I mostly just need more time and energy, but more $ would help as well - same as always.

The list is short because I really started getting after it a little over a year ago. The goal is to have the GTX 100% done before I retire in 2024. I was going to wait until it snows before replacing the exhaust system, but I got bored so it should be wrapped up over the weekend. I still need to drop the fuel tank and put an isolating pad between the tank and trunk floor. It will get a new filler tube grommet too. I've had the pad and grommet sitting in the garage for over a year.

I certainly understand. I have a bulged disc that is always lurking in the background...It is fine most of the time but when it flares up, I'm on the couch for a few days.
I have seen a shift going on in the past 10 years. It has certainly been going on since the beginning of time but I've only had my eyes open to it recently...maybe because I may someday deal with getting to that stage:
An enthusiast ages and his interest in the hobby fades. He loves the cars but has driven comfortable newer cars for years and the classics, while still beautiful, just aren't as tolerable as they used to be.
Heck...I'm not one you'd ever accuse of being mature and refined. I say silly and obnoxious things and don't seem to be getting any more sophisticated so I'm guessing that I'll keep wrenching as long as I have pain relievers, tools and a car.

Gotta buy and install that Tremec 5 speed, as I’m sure I’m never going to see that Passon.

I certainly understand. I have a bulged disc that is always lurking in the background...It is fine most of the time but when it flares up, I'm on the couch for a few days.
I have seen a shift going on in the past 10 years. It has certainly been going on since the beginning of time but I've only had my eyes open to it recently...maybe because I may someday deal with getting to that stage:
An enthusiast ages and his interest in the hobby fades. He loves the cars but has driven comfortable newer cars for years and the classics, while still beautiful, just aren't as tolerable as they used to be.
Heck...I'm not one you'd ever accuse of being mature and refined. I say silly and obnoxious things and don't seem to be getting any more sophisticated so I'm guessing that I'll keep wrenching as long as I have pain relievers, tools and a car.
"Heck...I'm not one you'd ever accuse of being mature and refined. I say silly and obnoxious things and don't seem to be getting any more sophisticated so I'm guessing that I'll keep wrenching as long as I have pain relievers, tools and a car."

Who here doesn't fit that mold? It's
your tenacity and expertise that we
draw on. People like you, me, and
most others here look past personality
differences. We're just trying to find
the answers and support, whatever
the problem may be. Glad you're here!

I slipped a disc and started doing planks about a dozen years ago. That was a good move as it turns out.

I slipped a disc and started doing planks about a dozen years ago. That was a good move as it turns out.
I had an unfortunate accident where
I broke my neck. I spent a lifetime
compestating. There's nothing I
can't accomplish with a paralyzed
left arm and shoulder. Physical
therapy has done absolutely nothing
for me. But thru shear determination,
have managed to build two vehicles
that no one would be embarrassed
to own. Overcome your discrepancies.
No one but you will recognise the
efforts put forth.