• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What modifications for your car have you kept putting off ?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Wheels and tires? Brakes? New seats?

70 B 1.jpg

For me, a finished car is never done. I'm not alone in this feeling.
Years ago, I put a tilt steering column in my FrankenDuster....

111.JPG

I have 2 more of the same model columns, both from floor shift 76-78 Cordobas. I like the adjustability of these things. Some cutting and welding is required to make them work but so what? That is hot rodding, right?
What about you?

I can't settle for just washing the car...I have to keep little projects in the cue to keep my blood moving.

Gathering parts for another transformation of the Red Challenger...
USCT subframe connectors, Tremec 5 spd to replace the 518 O/D, Holley Sniper, Sanden A/C compressor to replace the RV2, modern alternator to replace the original...

You'll like the Tremec. That regenerated my interest in my Charger. Fuel economy wasn't the primary attraction but it was a nice benefit.

100% agree that the car will never be finished.
It's one of the reasons I didn't buy a concours quality, numbers matching car in the first place. Idle hands do the devil's work and I need to keep busy, it's just in my nature.
My current "it's on my list" include:
- manual gearbox, 4, 5 or 6 speed (probably will never happen)
- 15" wheels (but some days the 14's look so good...)
- re-do the carpet where I did a terrible install job
- install adjustable headrests (frame is made, a visit to the 3D polystyrene printer later this week)
- new carburetor (endless choices, leaning towards a 680 cfm Brawler vac sec, currently researching)
- frame rails (like the idea of the extra stiffness but don't like adding weight)
- porting my intake manifold (need to order some gaskets first)
- fixing the power steering pump leak (had a few goes at this, thought it was fixed, still minor leak)
- re-chroming a few minor trim parts and rear bumper
- jeez what a long list...
20231119_181858.jpg
20231114_161751.jpg

The twin turbo 572 HEMI transplant in the 64 D100. I have started collecting parts to begin soon.
So far I have a mini starter, and an alternator.

:lol:

IMG_4277.jpeg
IMG_4272.jpeg
Switch in a GPS a drive for the speedometer. Bought the parts and just need to put them in (twelve months late).

I've been delaying changing the induction and hood for my silver car. I have a mint hood that I had acid-dipped, NOS WO hood-scoop, underside aluminum adapter plate, hinges, and latch assembly. I also have a NOS Rat-Roaster, and a pair of new Edelbrock carbs to replace the sheetmetal crossram/Holleys. I know the engine will probably take a 100hp hit, and the painting is always painful. Sometimes, I hate having this hobby.....LOL

Awhile back when I posted my ( I am retired ) thread I said something about my 67 was done.
You guys called me on that one lol.

I'm going to mini tub that sucker this winter. :drinks:

My 73 was born with the "L" black and silver cluster and dash insert.

I found and swapped in a woodgrain cluster face and I have half a dozen inserts and bought a "Satellite" script from a FBBO member.

...but all six inserts need some kind of work. Either the vents are missing, are missing slats, or have rusty rods.
...and the one that doesn't have any of those issues has a big blemish on the woodgrain where it looks like something removed the paint.

Been putting that off for years.

I also got a 4 barrel and intake to put on.
Been sitting on that for a while, too.

...and a very small drip from the torque converter seal. Only leak on the whole car.
Pulling the trans is gonna be fun.

I keep an ongoing list on my phone of "to-do's" for each of my cars. I'll limit it to just my (2) Plymouths so my post doesn't get deleted by mentioning the Chevys lol...
I try to keep them all drivable during the limited driving season around here.

For the Roadrunner:
- Wire looms
- Correct length plug wires
- Owner's manual
- Replace the rag joint
- Install temp sensor for my aftermarket 3-gauge cluster. I have to install another outlet to make this happen. The wire is ran to the vicinity and terminated until I can get to completing it.
- Re-glue some edges that are lifting on the vinyl top.
- Replace mufflers
- "Reverse restore" some chrome speed shop upgrades under the hood. I want to go back to the factory colors.
- Lose the Torq Thrust wheels and go back to the black steelies. I prefer that look over the aftermarket wheels.
- Repair transmission leak
- Reinstall kickdown cable at transmission. I manually shift it now until I get to that.
- Rebuild carburetor. I have the kit and intentions. Looking for the time.

For the Duster:
- Install aftermarket gauges for oil/temp/volts/fuel.
- Factory Rallye gauges need some TLC.
- Replace right turn signal indicator bulb on dash.
- Missing flywheel inspection cover.
- Remove and service transmission/shifter. Shifter is very sloppy now that I was able to compare it to the feel of a freshly rebuilt one recently. Maybe replace the speedometer gear while in there too. Works intermittently and is very inaccurate when it does work.
- Front seat needs to be re-upholstered.

Last edited:
None of mine is put off. Just prioritized by cost. Most of what I'm doing to the 65 is using parts/materials I've had for quite awhile. There is a long list of parts/supplies I need and as I get the scratch for that, they'll get worked in. So for now I work with what I have, until I need to spend some big bucks, then move to a different area until it repeats. No big deal as the list of mods/work is extensive. One of my friends is supposed to buy my M1A Supermatch and that will give me funds to upgrade my two welders plus get the roll cage, fuel tank and possibly seats. Until then work with what I've got, research on upgrades/get specs for them and get them in the mix as I'm progressing.

I've been working on the next project for my van for the past week or two......

Saving up for a full tank of gas!!!!!! :lol:

That sucker holds about 30 gallons!!!!

Headliner, carpet, leaf springs, carb rebuild, steering box rebuild, inner tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, new fan shroud, new upholstery....ugh.

I can't believe I work this hard to be this poor.

Auto Transport Service
Back