• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what insulation is being used for above headlinner ?

rustytoolss

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
I removed the broken hardboard headlinner in my 62 wagon. All of the old insulation was dry but needs to be replaced. So what are some budget friendly materials that can be used to replace the old insulation ?

I used a stick on mat, Noico 80mil. Got it on Amazon. I just verified that is what I bought.
20170114_190807.jpg

Last edited:
Rather than focus on the cheapest I chose a product that rejects heat... Only cool car I have with a solid roof is a station wagon... It's got a lot of roof & I prefer not to get cooked inside the car....

I use DEI (Design Engineering Inc) Under Carpet Light... This stuff is incredible, I use it on firewalls, floors and in the case of my wagon the roof... They claim it rejects 85% of heat & while I haven't tested that I can say the interior of these old cars on 100 degree days can be pretty unbearable, be adding UCL that problem is history, night & day difference...

1 Square per section of some sort of sound deadener, will help reduce any vibration noise. Then the silver lined a/c ductwork sheets to insulate. Both are very thin.

I used the bubble insulation with the foil on both sides sold at most home improvement stores.
Cleaned the steel , cut my pieces, hit the foil with some spray adhesive.
Stuck it up, seems to have worked just fine.

1684086166382.png

I used this stuff in the whole car. It’s for A/C ducts and what I like is that is has a reasonable medium tack. It’ll be removable.

Maybe I should have said , looking for a material to reduce interior heat. I've already bought a bytual sound deadenings pads. All information is helpfull. Thanks. I think I will be painting the roof white also.

Rather than focus on the cheapest I chose a product that rejects heat... Only cool car I have with a solid roof is a station wagon... It's got a lot of roof & I prefer not to get cooked inside the car....

I use DEI (Design Engineering Inc) Under Carpet Light... This stuff is incredible, I use it on firewalls, floors and in the case of my wagon the roof... They claim it rejects 85% of heat & while I haven't tested that I can say the interior of these old cars on 100 degree days can be pretty unbearable, be adding UCL that problem is history, night & day difference...
I'll check that out,..thanks

I don't know if there is any R value as I haven't finished the car yet.
It should have more R value than the original yellow insulation used by the factory.

An interesting tidbit - with my headliner material being perforated the silver comes thru and it looks like little stars against the black headliner fabric.

I used a stick on mat, Noico 80mil. Got it on Amazon. I just verified that is what I bought.
View attachment 1464875
That stuff has gotten really expensive. I opted you use the Amazon Basics stick on mat 14.4”x10”. It measured around 70-80 mil with my gauge but I also backed all of it with Noico 150 mil closed cell foam, that is currently unavailable at Amazon.

45DE62BB-0950-41DE-8D1A-8FB4FC58DD79.jpeg

I used Eastwood heat and sound barrier XMAT Under Hood & Headliner.
Whatever you look at, if you use a product with adhesive already on it, make sure it will withstand being inverted. The manufacturer should be able to tell you that. The last thing you want is the insulation falling off.

IMG_2422.jpeg

Anyone have anymore to say on this subject? I am getting ready to put my headliner in and looking for something to put in thats will help mainly for heat as I live in AZ and the car won’t have AC for a while. Looking for a cost effective solution but don’t want it melting off later. Was looking at the X-Mat under-hood Nd headliner but I’ll need two boxes. Amazon sells stuff from Siless but not sure if that will be good enough in the heat. X-Mat touts 300 degree operating temp.
Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back