• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is a fair price on a 4:10 dana rear end?

3rdelke

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
As our 67 gtx 4speed build continues, it's clear that our rear gear is way to low, for our 477, dual quad stroker. Our friend wants it, he's provided many parts for this build, w/o his help don't know if we could have ever got this far. It's got mosier axels. curios about value. Also, IMGP0216.jpgwhat would be the be the best ratio for street use?....thanks Bob

Are you selling the whole rear end? It really depends on the buyers value. If you think the gear is too deep, change the gear & keep the rear setup, IMO. The 4.10 does have a lot of RPM at highway speeds in my '66 Satellite. If you plan on a lot of highway driving even a 3.55 might be too much, but for a combination of mostly street driving without long 70 mph drives that should work. Do the math with your tire size & the RPM you'd like to be at on the highway and you will get the gear ratio you want.

We are gonna need to cut rear axles and housing to better utilize the tubs, so will probably. Sell the whole unit

472 hemi stroker...354 dana.....works great...26 inch tall tires....A dana 60 with 410 or lower gears in bolt in condition,,my opinion, is worth 1500 to 2000 all day...above 410, it has a different carrier for 456 and up so if wanting 354's in a 456 setup...the carrier must be changed and that costs more obviously

Before you sell it, figure out what wheel offset you need to use on a tubbed car. The combination of axle width, tub dimension and wheel offset is a variable, & complicated thing. Be sure to figure the availability of wheel offsets. If you're only dealing with the gear ratio issue, the wheel well shouldn't be in the mix. Changing gear ratio's is not a big thing. I've done many Dana 60's, even though they are a pain. A Dana 60 in your car is what you need. Strong parts, meaning aftermarket, are also key.

Thanks, guys. What's the easiest way to narrow axle housing? Then I guess just order axels?

While considering all the issues already mentioned, wheels, tubs, gear ratio, offset and such you need to think about final tire size. Most likely the tire will be taller as you get wider and that will affect street and highway rpm not too mention the speedometer gear.

Auto Transport Service
Back