• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the general consensus of having a new fender tag made by Govier?

nothing wrong with it if the car is real

This is how I feel.

And would do the same provided I had the BS to confirm everything.

Ive given thought to have a copy of my fender tag made,,,,,,,, and I have the original.
Install the repop on the car and put the original away for safe keeping. Just in case

A tag done without a broadcast sheet, that's another kettle of fish... :)

A tag made from a BS is no guarantee.

There's a belief that simply having the BS ensures a good tag when in fact it does not. One still has to know what info to use from the BS and WHEN to use it.
(Coding changes over time even within a model year.) Anyone that thinks otherwise has not studied in detail what it takes to make a tag nor how tag coding works. This is one way to determine fake tags.

Sequence number on a LR broadcast sheet has NOTHING to do with the sequence number on a Lynch Raid tag. The two numbers are totally unrelated. This is another way to determine fake tags.

All the tag providers make bad tags. It's just a fact. One can find bad tags from GG, Dave Wise, or AG Backeast. I don't know why they are not held to the same production standards as other parts providers.

Would you knowingly, rationally and purposely spend money on a part for your car that does not fit your car or application?
Would you knowingly, rationally or purposely spend money on a part for your car that would taint you or your car's reputation for being a fraud?

I’m not sure what forum, might have been this one. A guy said without a BS the fender tag means nothing as they are reproduced. I think he’s an idiot.:)

A tag done without a broadcast sheet, that's another kettle of fish... :)
If the car has been checked out in person, documented and investigated? Besides the fact I've owned the car since 75. Still has the original glass in it except 1 wing window, and except for the engine and tranny, nothings been done. I ran all this by Dave Wise as well, and he concurred with Galen's documentation. 1 of 3 produced, only one known to exist- That's why I wanted the tag.

So you have the best intentions and would never pass it off as an original. Until the next owner gets the car and says it’s all legit, factory, A1, authentic.

This is why you don’t need to make a FAKE tag when you have the broadcast sheet. If you have to guess at anything on the tag then it’s not a reproduction, it’s a fake. About 80% correct is still wrong.
Joe Friday-Just the facts ma’am

Last edited:
I have a 68 GTX, 440hp/4spd car that’s very nicely optioned. But it’s missing the original fender tag, I thought I had a line on the original by reaching out to previous owners and one owner swore he thought he took it off and should have it but unfortunately has been unable to find it.

I would offer that previous owner a hefty finder's fee to locate the original fender tag. Money well spent.

If the car has been checked out in person, documented and investigated? Besides the fact I've owned the car since 75. Still has the original glass in it except 1 wing window, and except for the engine and tranny, nothings been done. I ran all this by Dave Wise as well, and he concurred with Galen's documentation. 1 of 3 produced, only one known to exist- That's why I wanted the tag.

Get the tag made and disregard the hate here. If the tag represents the car it is on then as the saying goes "walks like a duck...".

This thread is not hate. This is education.

if you can’t see the difference there is no helping you.

If you don't have the original fender tag... you have no fender tag. My two cents...

Chuck

I’ve heard AG backeast has been out of action and won’t be back until sometime in spring.
I saw this company mentioned in a post on another site and the pictures of the tag the poster showed of his repro tag looked pretty good
http://www.tagmyclassic.com/
I had AG backeast make a tag for one of my cars because the original tag was somewhat corroded. I couldn’t see stripping it, painting it and installing it on a concours restoration. I was able to make out all codes on the original tag so the repro is accurate in that respect. So far no one has got bent out of shape about my cars “fake tag”!

I tried the AG website and it's broken. It actually comes up as datatags.com on the url but...won't load.
upload_2021-12-16_20-28-34.png

I had AG backeast make a tag for one of my cars because the original tag was somewhat corroded. I couldn’t see stripping it, painting it and installing it on a concours restoration. I was able to make out all codes on the original tag so the repro is accurate in that respect. So far no one has got bent out of shape about my cars “fake tag”!
You don’t have a fake tag. Yor story says you made a duplicate from the original. So it has all of the same info it always had. Big difference. No guess work.

have it done by someone other than Galen, 1st of all

A tag made from a BS is no guarantee.
This is so true.

I have mixed emotions when it comes to Galen. He did do some of the pioneering groundwork for our hobby.....but it seems that greed of personal gain was his downfall in many people's eyes.
I at least got a response from him following my enquiry back last century. It took 13 months, but I never gave up. Nowadays the innerweb is full of people who can provide a more expedient service, and possibly with some more accuracy.....although there is no substitute for the factory made items.

I was that guy.......
upload_2022-1-3_13-5-41.jpeg

upload_2022-1-3_13-3-52.jpeg

upload_2022-1-3_13-5-12.jpeg

upload_2022-1-3_13-6-19.jpeg

:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back