• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the piece at the tail section of the transmission?

Myasylum

Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
Not sure if this piece is for vibration or what this is? My rebuilt transmission doesn't have this. Should I swap it over? Both 727's
Thanks!

20220920_212006.jpg

Also,

The transmission in the car has some kind of seal so you can't see the spline coming out of the tail shaft. The rebuilt transmission the spine protrudes a couple inches out on the tail shaft. Is this going to matter?

See attached for example...

No seal.jpg

727-seal.jpg

Also,

The transmission in the car has some kind of seal so you can't see the spline coming out of the tail shaft. The rebuilt transmission the spine protrudes a couple inches out on the tail shaft. Is this going to matter?

See attached for example...

View attachment 1346250

View attachment 1346251
I understand that is indeed a vibration deading weight. Don't know much about them though.

Tail shaft length is quite critical. If it's not VERY close to original 727 you need to do some research to see what you really have there.... Could be an optical illusion but the new one looks longer... Different output seal may or may not work. I expect that is not an issue but again you may be talking apples and oranges here.

Last edited:
I am sure the tailshaft is the same, the extended seal just has a dust shield on it. At ride height your yoke should be bottomed, then pulled out 1". The current extended seals with dust shield are a little longer than an assembly line original, and with a proper driveshaft the seal will almost rub the yoke ears.

From what I was always under the understanding of was that all 727 transmissions' are the same (other than motor homes). If that is the case the only difference would be that one has a dust shield and, the other does not.

However, I don't know that for certain.

From what I was always under the understanding of was that all 727 transmissions' are the same (other than motor homes). If that is the case the only difference would be that one has a dust shield and, the other does not.

However, I don't know that for certain.
Correct. You can get a plain seal, or a dust boot seal.

Do I have to use a seal at all? Maybe I can just swap the seal over?

The original 727 is from a 1972 car
The replacement is from a 1968

That may be the only reason the newer car would have a seal and a vibration device. Modern technology and all. :p

Do I have to use a seal at all?

The original 727 is from a 1972 car
The replacement is from a 1968

That may be the only reason the newer car would have a seal and a vibration device. Modern technology and all. :p
No.
But if you want to go very far, bring a pail of ATF with you.

?? If all it is, is a dust shield I wouldn't think it would be needed at all??

Well the dust boot has a drain hole to let fluid out, so it is not needed...but you do need a seal. 68 or 72 is the same back there.

Yup....you need a seal and like already said, the 'boot' was just added rubber to the seal to help keep dirt out and off of the slip yoke which in turn will help the life of the seal. If you're going to use the car as a daily driver, the seal with the boot is a better way to go imo. Take a bright flash light and shine it into the end of the tail shaft and you should be able to see the seal that should have been installed by whoever rebuilt the trans.

Yes there is a seal. Just not a dust cover.

Next question... the linkage and switch is slightly different. Do these just swap over?

20220921_181220.jpg

20220921_181225.jpg

Put some penetrating oil on the switch threads and let it soak in for a day. Years ago I had one that was so tight that when it finally popped loose the case cracked.....

Auto Transport Service
Back