• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this sound?

It's weird that the damage is not contained to a single spot.

K3DFfdeqqbagQBhe_o2mWqeAZiAmPG-xCtYjrCVhKSEwsFj4xLgmJvhMClU7-pGokESutQ=w2524-h1892-no?authuser=0.jpg

Look straight up there and have someone turn the motor. Somethings hitting

I think the drain plug on the converter may have started the problem.
I think it hit somewhere and caused an interference spot.
I don't think it's the correct style plug.

Only thing up there would be an oil gallery plug coming out or the cam pushed the back plug out...

Head on convertor bolts can be too tall. Check the height.

Head on convertor bolts can be too tall. Check the height.
They certainly can, but note it's his flex plate that is getting beaten and his converter drain plug has hit something as well. Either an oil gallery plug is out to far or his camshaft block plug. Nothing else up in there..

The flex plate cup is offset in the middle. Make sure when you mount the flexplate, so that offset is making the flex plate tuck in further towards the block, not cup out/offset towards the converter.

flex2.jpg

They certainly can, but note it's his flex plate that is getting beaten and his converter drain plug has hit something as well.

The converter drain plug is on the flywheel? I thought that was the flywheel.

Either an oil gallery plug is out to far or his camshaft block plug. Nothing else up in there..
Would either of those cause the damage to be so spread out?

If you look at 1968rt's pic, I wonder if something could be trapped in that pocket beside starter mount?

grasping at straws lol

I was just going to add, are all four bolts holding the converter to the flex plate?..or is one missing and jammed as per Remchargers post?

.. or were you working on the drivers side and dropped something into the gap at the top of the starter?.. seeing your have no tc shield on the car!

It does look like the flexplate is hitting something.
I put some sharpie on it to make sure the damage is fresh, and it is.

View attachment 1203657

All the bolts seem to be snug. What else is there?

Also, I had to add a quart of ATF as it was low.

Did it have an inspection cover on it?

There's also a plate that the starter goes through. Has that been messed with recently or anything else been done to the engine?

It did have the inspection cover. Is there a separate tc shield?

I did lose a carburetor nut recently:/
Have had this car for about six months now and haven’t done any work around that area…I think I’ll have to really get under it while it’s running and see what’s going on.

Just turn the engine enough that you can run your fingers along the back of the block's lower web, or get a hooked wire and do the same...

It did have the inspection cover. Is there a separate tc shield?

I did lose a carburetor nut recently:/
Have had this car for about six months now and haven’t done any work around that area…I think I’ll have to really get under it while it’s running and see what’s going on.

Does it still make the noise since you removed the inspection cover?

Looking at all the random shiny nick marks on the torque converter and edge of flex plate, something has either come loose or got in there somehow and is dancing around when running.

Looking at all the random shiny nick marks on the torque converter and edge of flex plate, something has either come loose or got in there somehow and is dancing around when running.
But it’s a banging sound. Frequency of the bang goes up with rpm.

See post #35... no point going forward here in the guessing game until you do that. There's a bolt or nut sitting between crank and starter that's beating that flex plate. Gotta be.... or the camshaft block plug is sticking out, there's nothing else..

Auto Transport Service
Back