• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What paint do you guys use to restore chalky plastic panels?

jogirob

Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
I tried using Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric dye on the lower portion of my 74 Charger SE door panel. While it worked great for the upper portion & armrest portions (leather/vinyl?) the bottom plastic panel gets dinged up way too easily. Should've known better :doh:

I sanded enough to remove the loose stuff and prepped the surface w/ the Duplicolor wax remover solution and even sprayed it down with an adhesion promoter. What type of paint should I use on these old plastic panels? Any other protips? Thanks.

I used SEM 15013 Landau black, and have had no problems. The SEM actually fuses into the plastic. I prepped with SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promoter after cleaning. I used this black because I liked the color, but they have 24 or so different colors on Amazon to choose from.

I used SEM 15013 Landau black, and have had no problems. The SEM actually fuses into the plastic. I prepped with SEM 39863 Plastic Adhesion Promoter after cleaning. I used this black because I liked the color, but they have 24 or so different colors on Amazon to choose from.
Woo boi. Those cans sure run a pretty penny. You get what you pay for I guess. Those are some stellar reviews.

What is it your worried about, durability of product against scuffs & stuff, or what? The bottom of doors and the panel in the footwell get scuffed the most. Why do you think they call them "kick panels"?
The SEM will do the same as the Duplicolor with the scuffs, just something you gotta deal with. Good Luck

What is it your worried about, durability of product against scuffs & stuff, or what? The bottom of doors and the panel in the footwell get scuffed the most. Why do you think they call them "kick panels"?
The SEM will do the same as the Duplicolor with the scuffs, just something you gotta deal with. Good Luck
The black paint coating chips off too easily revealing the white plastic underneath for the sections I sanded down the powdery crusty plastic on.

In the past I have sanded the kick panels used good vinyl spray contact glue and covered with heavy vinyl . worked for me and looked good

Auto Transport Service
Back