• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size fuel pump should I be getting?

David Womby

Local time
8:09 AM
Reaction score
My car has

1978 Monaco 360 engine.
Mopar Performance Cam 4452761.
Summit Racing Carb SUM-M08600VS. 600cfm
Distributor Pertronix PNX-D141701.
Coil Pertronix PNX-45001.

and a Mallory 140 Comp Pump in the trunk that is mounted upside down for Heaven's Sake! No idea why the PO fitted it this way and I think it's dangerous!. The pump has an external regulator. The pump is also very noisy. So I am thinking of replacing it. I think the carb wants no more than 7PSI and maybe a bit less. Does it really need a pump with 140gph throughput? Can I go with something a bit less potent (and therefore cheaper)? Wouldn't 50 or 60gph be plenty for this engine? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

David

Fuel pump (1).jpg

Last edited:
The factory mechanical pump will easily feed your combo.
Doug

I am a huge fan of the Mallory 140 pumps. They are a gerotor design (similar to big block Mopar oil pumps) and superior to the usual vane type pumps, and quieter too. If it were me..... I would re-plumb it right side up, and rubber isolate it, with isolaters from somebody like Mc master Carr.
That said, you don't need that much pump. You could get by with either a Carter Universal ($42 at summit) or a Carter competition series (preferred, at summit $65). Neither needs a regulator.
If noise is the concern Edelbrock makes a "quiet flow" electric, but it is NOT cheap. For the money they ask, it better sound like a whisper.
Then of course, there's always a decent mechanical......
(The last pump I bought was a trick flow 140/regulator combo for around $125. I'm happy. About a third of the price of the Mallory. Holley bought mallory... and wants to sell HOLLEY pumps)

Yes, absolutely

Thanks for confirming I don't need so much pump!

The factory mechanical pump will easily feed your combo.
Doug

Agreed but it and its fuel lines have been removed and I'd prefer to replace this electric one rather than redo the lines again.

I am a huge fan of the Mallory 140 pumps. They are a gerotor design (similar to big block Mopar oil pumps) and superior to the usual vane type pumps, and quieter too. If it were me..... I would re-plumb it right side up, and rubber isolate it, with isolaters from somebody like Mc master Carr.
That said, you don't need that much pump. You could get by with either a Carter Universal ($42 at summit) or a Carter competition series (preferred, at summit $65). Neither needs a regulator.
If noise is the concern Edelbrock makes a "quiet flow" electric, but it is NOT cheap. For the money they ask, it better sound like a whisper.
(The last pump I bought was a trick flow 140/regulator combo for around $125. I'm happy. About a third of the price of the Mallory. Holley bought mallory... and wants to sell HOLLEY pumps)

I might try it turned right way up but will also look out for electric 5-7psi and <=60gph pumps.

David

Re-doing fuel lines is usually a simple job. I'd just put in a good mechanical pump.

I want as quiet a pump as I can get. I am thinking a Mallory Series 70 looks enough throughput and PSI?

David

This is the quietest pump you can get.
Thanks. You know, I am beginning to think that may be the best solution for me. I wonder why a previous owner changed to electric. The engine isn't the original and it's a tight fit at the lower end but I'll take a look and at least see if there's room for a mechanical pump.

David

Thanks. You know, I am beginning to think that may be the best solution for me. I wonder why a previous owner changed to electric. The engine isn't the original and it's a tight fit at the lower end but I'll take a look and at least see if there's room for a mechanical pump.

David
Room ? The mechanical pump is on the engine.

Room ? The mechanical pump is on the engine.

:) I hadn't looked up where on the engine when I wrote that. I thought it might be on one side and there's very little space down there as it sits between narrow chassis rails on my car. It seems the 360 fuel pump is on the timing cover and should not be a tight fit.

David

yeah, I know but there should still be room I would think. Look where the block-off plate is now, and check access.

As far as I can tell, clearance is not enough. The alternator on my car is fitted on that side and it's just under 3" from it to the blanking plate. It also looks like the coolant pipe from the water pump is going be an issue but I assume a mechanical fuel pump can be made to fit with it since it left the factory with one.
mech fuel pump clearance (1).jpg
mech fuel pump clearance (4).jpg
mech fuel pump clearance (5).jpg

David

I use a carter competition series and with the engine running I can't hear it.

Well my Mallory order got cancelled so I quickly grabbed a Carter P4070 and installed that. I have a 100 micron filter between the tank and the pump. After the pump I have a Mallory deadhead regulator holding the fuel pressure to 5PSI followed by a NAPA Gold filter before the carb.. The new pump provides rock steady 5PSI through the regulator and everything seems to be working fine. The pump comes with a mounting bracket and rubber isolators to reduce pump vibration passing to the bracket. In addition, I mounted the bracket to the car using rubber 'bobbin' type mounts to further isolate it. The pump seems loud before firing up and can be heard above the idle but once above idle, the sound is lost.

David

Auto Transport Service
Back