• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size hose clamps needed....Cooling system....

bandit67

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:55 AM
Reaction score
Guys, hate looking at my worm type hose clamps and wish to replace them all with the wire type clamps. I assume the ones listed as 5/8 and 3/4 in size, are whats needed for the heater core hoses. Now my choice of sizes for rad hoses are; 11/4, 11/2, 17/8 and 2 inch. Is the 1 1/2 correct for upper and lower rad hoses....
Are these sizes correct for 71,72 and 73 year cars.....thanks...

I would buy the kit from Megaparts. That way you have them all in the correct size and finishes. They have them for both big and small blocks, with or without air for 70-74 all kitted up for you. Also if you don't have a set already, grab a good set of corbin style clamp pliers. Otherwise you do what I did for a few years and shoot clamps across the garage when using channel locks to squeeze them haha!

https://www.megapartsusa.com/products.php?cat=549

I agree with 91r/t - the easiest way is to just buy a kit. In the grand scheme of things, the kits are reasonably priced. And, DO get corbin pliers, or you will be swearing more than making progress.

I agree with 91r/t - the easiest way is to just buy a kit. In the grand scheme of things, the kits are reasonably priced. And, DO get corbin pliers, or you will be swearing more than making progress.

Corbin clamps hurt when they hit you like missiles from slipping haha! And they don't like hitting cars in the garage too.....they suck without the pliers.

If your wanting a super clean look and no sharp objects to cut yourself on I love the shrink wrap clamps. My local Napa had them in stock, simply heat them up and forget it.. haven't had a leak yet.
20160402_202833.jpg
20160402_213912.jpg

Thanks guys, I usually buy in bulk as I do have several projects going on, but , those kits do appear to be very reasonable priced. I usually use Auveco for most bulk items as needed. I saw those heat shrink clamps , but have never tried one...thanks....

Thanks guys, I usually buy in bulk as I do have several projects going on, but , those kits do appear to be very reasonable priced. I usually use Auveco for most bulk items as needed. I saw those heat shrink clamps , but have never tried one...thanks....
Gates Power Grips are great. One time use as they have to be cut off (soldering gun will melt also). I had a new t-stat housing and a new radiator hose and even with 2 Corbin clamps it leaked. One Power Grip and it was sealed. Rock Auto has them.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back