• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what type and brand trans fluid for my 67 A-833 trans?

Dean Prevolos

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
I want to know what brand and type trans fluid is recommended for my 67 A-833 transmission. It has been sitting for awhile and I though I'd change the fluid before I put back onto my engine to install in the car. Thanks in advance.

Ford F type or specialty fluid like B&M trick shift
I read it to quickly , my bad thanks for picking up my mistake right away

Last edited:
upload_2021-9-25_8-39-37.jpeg

I just called Brewers transmission and asked them this very same question this summer. His answer is use Sta-Lube number SL-24239. It is 80/90 GL4. Very important to avoid GL5.

Brewers didn’t recommend ATF or 140 weight even though the service manual Has it in there.

Last edited:
Ma Mopar shipped plenty of standard trans cars out with ATF when new. Great for cold weather use.
Mike
Pp 9 of the 1965 Plymouth factory service manual:

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 111
I tied the factory recommended 140 and it was like I put glue in the trans. Went to Sta-Lube 80/90 and it was better, but still had gear clash 1st to 2nd. Then went to the Penzoil Sychromesh and it shifts like butter. I guess each trans may be a little different, but I'm sold on the stuff.

I just called Brewers transmission and asked them this very same question this summer. His answer is use Sta-Lube number SL-24239. It is 80/90 GL4. Very important to avoid GL5.

Brewers didn’t recommend ATF or 140 weight even though the service manual Has it in there.
How did that work out for your trans shifting? I see that Ranger 16 tried the Sta-Lube and then switched to the Penzoil Syncromesh.

I tied the factory recommended 140 and it was like I put glue in the trans. Went to Sta-Lube 80/90 and it was better, but still had gear clash 1st to 2nd. Then went to the Penzoil Sychromesh and it shifts like butter. I guess each trans may be a little different, but I'm sold on the stuff.

Interesting that you had to try the first two products only to find that the Penzoil Syncromesh gave you the best results. You may have just saved me the time and trouble to fill my case three times. Thanks.

I was going to call him tomorrow if I didn't get any answers on the Forum. Did you see the response from Ranger 16, tried the Sta-Lube and it didn't shift 100% to his liking, so he tried the Penzoil Syncromesh and it shifts"like butter". Interesting difference a product can make.

Thanks for the nice video on gear oils, another win for Joe Gibbs driven. You can buy direct from their website. I’ve been use driven engine oils for 10+ years. I Like that a trans repair man like the Driven gear oil and says it makes a difference. I would use that next time.

No wonder the synchromesh oils works better, it is ATF bases and thin. I wouldn’t use that in and old gearbox.

My 4 speed shifted fine before and after the oil change with sta-lube GL4. I just bought the car and wanted new clean fluid so I changed it. I will leave it in there.

call Brewers and ask Wayne.

Auto Transport Service
Back