• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Type of Rear Axle Oil & Additive for my Sure Grip Dana 60

Use what you like, but if you have a clutch style sure grip, I'd stay away from the synthetic stuff. That's my opinion, others may agree/disagree.
I've heard that from others. This rear axle world that I've entered is confusing enough without adding synthetic products. Unless there is a significant reason to use it, I'll stay away from it, thanks, Richard

It appears that aidditive is a Mopar product and comes in a 4oz bottle. Regardless whether my rear end is a sure grip, posi, power lock, or trac lock, would this product be used in any of them?? Also, would you recommend 1 or 2 bottles (4oz or 8oz)? thanks, Richard
Use the whole bottle then fill with gear oil 75-90 gl4 is what I use.
You can use any friction modifier from any company, they all do the same thing, just buy high quality.
All those terms for positraction are just different manufacturers terms, around here we call it sure grip.

Last edited:
oil.jpg
80-ccrp_1006_21_rear_end_assembly_ford_xl3_gear_addi_1c75b9e5f496d1f190bac50789bb39f5eb40d790.jpg

I was told by a Denver Mopar expert to use the 85 W 90 with the GL-5 additive. I bought mine at Advance, and it has worked great for 5 years. I think Wal Mart also carries it, I'll check. Just make sure it says GL-5 on it.

I was told by a Denver Mopar expert to use the 85 W 90 with the GL-5 additive. I bought mine at Advance, and it has worked great for 5 years. I think Wal Mart also carries it, I'll check. Just make sure it says GL-5 on it.
Thanks for the information, Richard

I think there were more questions than oil buried in your responses.
exactly what I have for a rear end???
"Sure Grip" as they said is just Mopar speak for posi (cough cough). If you have a Dana, a WS23U0_ with a 727, on your fender tag check 2nd line from top, 2nd number in, should be "084" = axle package = A32 Super Performance Axle package = Dana 60 - 9.75 with 4.10 Sure Grip (also includes 7 blade fan, 26" radiator and power front brakes). The 3.54s were probably swapped for better driveability. 3.55 wasn't Dana and only came on A36 packages.
In 1970 could a Coronet R/T come with either a "power lok" or a "trac lok"?
Depends, early SPDs could still have the Powr-Lok before the Trak-Lok phased them out for 1970.

I think there were more questions than oil buried in your responses.

"Sure Grip" as they said is just Mopar speak for posi (cough cough). If you have a Dana, a WS23U0_ with a 727, on your fender tag check 2nd line from top, 2nd number in, should be "084" = axle package = A32 Super Performance Axle package = Dana 60 - 9.75 with 4.10 Sure Grip (also includes 7 blade fan, 26" radiator and power front brakes). The 3.54s were probably swapped for better driveability. 3.55 wasn't Dana and only came on A36 packages.
Depends, early SPDs could still have the Powr-Lok before the Trak-Lok phased them out for 1970.

4mayhemi,

As you I have the 26 inch radiator, 7-blade fan, Dana-60 with 3.54, 9.75 axle. The orig 4.10 gears are in a box. The orig owner swapped them out. On my fender tag, the "A32" is on the 3rd Row down, 2nd set of #'s in. My fender tag is hard to read in places. I couldn't find a "084"?? Also have power front brakes.

Mopar nor the Ford stuff worked in my 2000 Durango but decided to try a few ounces of STP and so far it's been in it for over 60k miles now.

What makes it better than the others? I would go with the additive that Mopar has, unless there is a good reason not to.....................MO

Cornpatch MO and Cranky,

Thanks for helping. I got a lot of responses when I originally posted my thread on what axle lubricate to used in my R/T with the Dana-60? I got a lot of different options, and I think any of them would work. I decided to try Mopar 80w-90 axle lubricant and Mopar Friction Modifier". I kind of thought who knows Mopars better than Mopar??? Mopar's 80w-90 axle lubricant was a bit expensive, but how often do you change rear axle lubricant.
thanks
Richard

I tried the Mooar additive and my clutch sure grip chattered really bad, switched to the Ferd stuff, and the chattering disappeared.

I tried the Mooar additive and my clutch sure grip chattered really bad, switched to the Ferd stuff, and the chattering disappeared.

5.7 hemi,

Thanks a lot for the heads up!! That chattering you had; was it at any speed and how about cornering?? This may turn into another $50 mistake!! I do appreciate all advice that I get from you Mopar folks as the R/T is my first Mopar. Richard

It was during tight cornering, low speed, high speed and sometimes it would chirp the tires when low speed, as though I had a spool in the rear.

It was during tight cornering, low speed, high speed and sometimes it would chirp the tires when low speed, as though I had a spool in the rear.

5.7 hemi,

Currently, I'm not having any rear axle noise as you have outlined for me. When I got the car, it had no mechanical records. I've been forced to change all the fluids to be sure. I'm reluctant to change the rear axle fluid as there seems to be no noise issues. However, not knowing when it was last changed or what was used has given me no choice. $50 - $75 is a lot cheaper than $2,000 if there is metal or water in the axle assembly! Thanks for your description. My wife has great hearing (I don't); I'll take her out to see if she can hear anything. Richard

5.7 hemi,

Thanks a lot for the heads up!! That chattering you had; was it at any speed and how about cornering?? This may turn into another $50 mistake!! I do appreciate all advice that I get from you Mopar folks as the R/T is my first Mopar. Richard
I think if you are starting from no oil in the differential, you are doing the right thing. I started with a complete re-built 742 sure grip, including the clutches, used non synthetic GL4 oil and the Mopar non synthetic sure grip additive ( Mopar friction modifier) Mine works just as Ma Mopar intended-perfect.
BTW there is a difference between GL4 and GL5 oil. Don't let the parts salesman tell you the GL 5 is the same or better.
My opinion is : a person should not mix oils and additives and in paint materials etc. because they may not be compatible. ..........................MO

Your right, oil is cheap compared to an overhaul. Your doing the right thing!

Cornpatch MO and Cranky,

Thanks for helping. I got a lot of responses when I originally posted my thread on what axle lubricate to used in my R/T with the Dana-60? I got a lot of different options, and I think any of them would work. I decided to try Mopar 80w-90 axle lubricant and Mopar Friction Modifier". I kind of thought who knows Mopars better than Mopar??? Mopar's 80w-90 axle lubricant was a bit expensive, but how often do you change rear axle lubricant.
thanks
Richard
I used to change mine quite often.....usually because I was swapping gear ratios a lot and didn't want to chance any dirt from the swap getting in the drain pan. At one time I was using a suction gun but that was a rpita.

I did the same thing but got the same results from both and that's when I tried the STP for the first time in a rear end. First time I used that stuff was to 'doctor' a 69 Dodge pickup in the mid 70's. Hard to believe it smoked so bad when it was only 6 years old but it looked like it was rode hard and put up wet. 3 cans later and no more smoke! :D Next patient was a 65 Mustang with a tired 289 but just one can did the trick. Fast forward to the early 80's and now working at Exxon and one night while doing some maintenance work in the lab, I run into this chem engineer and asked about the use of STP. He chuckled at the question but explained that a product that STP uses and trademarked is used in just about all lubricants. Only thing is, the product that most refiners use isn't marketed as STP....and since it's sold only to refiners, it's not marketed to the general public but basically, STP is pretty close to the same stuff. I did manage to end up with a couple of quarts from the refinery and it's even heavier that what STP packages if that can be possible lol.

I used to change mine quite often.....usually because I was swapping gear ratios a lot and didn't want to chance any dirt from the swap getting in the drain pan. At one time I was using a suction gun but that was a rpita.

I did the same thing but got the same results from both and that's when I tried the STP for the first time in a rear end. First time I used that stuff was to 'doctor' a 69 Dodge pickup in the mid 70's. Hard to believe it smoked so bad when it was only 6 years old but it looked like it was rode hard and put up wet. 3 cans later and no more smoke! :D Next patient was a 65 Mustang with a tired 289 but just one can did the trick. Fast forward to the early 80's and now working at Exxon and one night while doing some maintenance work in the lab, I run into this chem engineer and asked about the use of STP. He chuckled at the question but explained that a product that STP uses and trademarked is used in just about all lubricants. Only thing is, the product that most refiners use isn't marketed as STP....and since it's sold only to refiners, it's not marketed to the general public but basically, STP is pretty close to the same stuff. I did manage to end up with a couple of quarts from the refinery and it's even heavier that what STP packages if that can be possible lol.

Cranky,Cornpatch MO, and 5.7 hemi,

When I had originally posted this rear axle lubricant thread; I had no idea that I'd get so many different lube options. Seems a lot of the Mopar folks were using the Ford stuff. I'll start with the Mopar recommended and if that fails; I'll go back to this forum, and reread all the responses I have got. Since the car didn't come with maintenance records; I have no choice except to start fresh and change all the fluids, belts, and hoses. I've had a time or two (probably more) where I thought I had a good belt or hose, and they failed. I figured it's a bit costly but not near as costly as mechanical repairs! Once I get done thoroughly inspecting the car; then I'll begin with the fluids, belts, hoses, and mechanical repairs. It sure helps me to hear you Mopar folks recommendations, experiences, and products you use.

Richard

I'm not only new to this forum, I also have purchased my long awaited (46 years) mopar, and have many questions. I have a 1970 Coronet R/T with a Dana 60, 9 3/4 inch, and 3.55 gears, the 4.10 gears are in the trunk. The R/T did not come with maintenance records, so I'm not taking anything for granted and changing all the fluids, filters, belts, hoses, etc. Nothing like having a power steering belt brake 50 miles from home! Now comes my first (of many) question. I have read much on this forum and the internet regarding rear axle oils and additives. I'm more confused now than before I started reading. Can someone simplify for me what rear end oil and additive that I should use. I believe my rear axle is referred to as a "sure grip", thanks, Richard

I run amsoil severe gear 75W-110 in my Dana. It gets some track time but never had any issues whatsoever.

Auto Transport Service
Back