• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what would a new paint job with minor rust touch ups cost?

cubbie3522

Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
I know its hard to get an exact estimate on a forum like this, but I was thinking about painting my car and touching up some body work. Originally wanted to go through the whole car doing whatever was needed, unfortunately dont have the time at this point. Is it worth just doing a quick job or should I hold on to my cash and get it done 100% correct? I was quoted a price by a pretty good body man of 4000, said the car would be easy for him to cut out the little rust and put a paint job on it.

The estimate doesn't sound too bad providing he's using quality paint and he's going to do things the 'right' way. Therein lies the problem with giving you an estimate. There are huge variations in the way the rust is repaired, the prep work for the paint, and the quality of materials. I would get an estimate with specifics and an agreement that you can either inspect the rust repair and prep, or get pictures (at a minimum). Good body workers and painters are true craftsmen in my opinion. Spend the money for the best you can find and you won't be sorry.

ask to speak to and SEE some of his customers work. Befor I became involved in micro electronics to carve out a living I was a paint and body man for 17 years. If you want to know about somebody's work ask the people who had it done. Most have a portfolio of photos of work if they are proud of the results! If not beware!
Hope this helps,
Bill

I've been in the business for quite a while. You can get 2 quotes for the same amount of money, & the finished product could be as different as day-and-night. The good thing about those "cheapo" paint jobs, is you know what you're getting. If you want to (and you should) spend the right money for the right kind of job, then you should KNOW what you're getting. As the last two replies correctly state. The key here is itemize. "Body work & paint for $4000" is the exact opposite of what you want.

$4,000 sounds pretty dang cheap considering labor is typically 55-65 bucks an hour. Add on paint and the other consumables, you'd be lucky to have about 40-50 hours labor on the car and that's on the low end of the labor rate.....Myself I wouldn't want a 40 hour body job on my car. I agree with moperformance (Bill), have him show you some prior work.

Good luck to ya!

I went to get estimates like you thinking for now a cheapo job gets by for a year then strip....they wanted $1500 just to strip and $6k for 3 month maybe paint job..yes cheap type place. Real body shop saw me pull in and before I could even ask the owner told me $6-10k just to start meaning expect to pay $15k total since thay is beyond my current budget I will have a guy soda blast it and the have a body guy fix the dents then for
$2500 have a 3 stage paint job. At least that's the plan.

I would if at all possible wait until you can have it done 100 percent. 4 grand isint that much for body work but if you were to go that route and then in a couple years do it the way you really want to now you'll have that much more money into the car. It really depends on just how bad the car is, You said a little touch up work that suggests it really isint bad, I would wait save the 4000 and have a good start at getting it done right, I don't think you would be sorry.

Auto Transport Service
Back