• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats decent at the wheels horsepower and torque

Michael400

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
What's is considered decent horsepower and torque at the wheels for a 383 and 400 and 440 for a charger

That's a personal preference, some like a lot, and some a lot more. I personally like the most I can get and keep the car very streetable, and not need constant tuning.

What's is considered decent horsepower and torque at the wheels for a 383 and 400 and 440 for a charger
I think 1000 hp is decent. Perhaps rephrase the question

Yep, it's enough
20201017_130729.jpg

I think you can make 1000 HP, with any of the base engines in the original post, but streetable, hell no. They get 6000 plus HP, in top fuel Hemi's, but only a quarter of a mile at the time and then it's rebuilt.

I think you can make 1000 HP, with any of the base engines in the original post, but streetable, hell no. They get 6000 plus HP, in top fuel Hemi's, but only a quarter of a mile at the time and then it's rebuilt.
Yep.

I think 1000 hp is decent power, which is the OP’s only requirement.

My buddy just made 1,650 at the wheels.. we'll find out if it's decent next spring.

I should have been more specific like what's good horsepower and torque with a mild cam intake exhaust heads maybe a little bit of compression raised and a 727 automatic no blower and no always tuning it and no stroking kit

I should have been more specific like what's good horsepower and torque with a mild cam intake exhaust heads maybe a little bit of compression raised and a 727 automatic no blower and no always tuning it and no stroking kit
About 325-350 is normally achievable with the basic add ons.

1 to 1.1 hp/cubic inch, if done well.

1 to 1.1 hp/cubic inch, if done well.
I like your thoughts, but I believe 1.2-1.5 HP is easily attainable and have street manners and enough vacuum for power brakes.
I recently built a 383 for a 67 Satellite that I'm expecting 375-385 HP out of. Stock bore and stroke, Lunati cam, less than 500 lift, and stock closed chamber heads with bigger valves and port work. I will install a stock Carter carb, but not the one that came on it stock. I will use the GTX 440 version, 4326S. It's an old school built, proven in the past.

I like your thoughts, but I believe 1.2-1.5 HP is easily attainable and have street manners and enough vacuum for power brakes.
I recently built a 383 for a 67 Satellite that I'm expecting 375-385 HP out of. Stock bore and stroke, Lunati cam, less than 500 lift, and stock closed chamber heads with bigger valves and port work. I will install a stock Carter carb, but not the one that came on it stock. I will use the GTX 440 version, 4326S. It's an old school built, proven in the past.
Ohhh woow at the wheels? That's really good

I assume at least 20-25% drop at the wheels with an auto, compared to crank.
So I would say a nice 400, making 400 crank hp, would have around 300 whp, depending on how good the converter is.

What ever puts a smile on your face and you still have $ in your wallet.
Doug

So I would say a nice 400, making 400 crank hp, would have around 300 whp, depending on how good the converter is.
That sounds about bang on from what I've seen.

My first version of this 440 with the 4.15" crank turned 369 HP at 5400 rpms.
It had 10.8 compression, the MP 509 cam, Edelbrock heads with stock rocker arms, an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Demon 850 carb, 2" headers and electronic ignition. I had a 3000 stall converter in the 727 and 4.10 gears. I sure thought my rear wheel HP would be more than 369. Even if you add 25% to that to account for "gross HP at the crank, I would have still been below 1 HP per inch. I hear that many people are disappointed with their dyno results.
Who knows where I am now with lower compression and a bigger cam.

biffy.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back