• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's this wire?

TopBanana72

Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Getting done with the 318 rebuild on the 72 Charger and putting things back together. I can't remember where this thing goes. .. It might have been loose before, but not sure. Any ideas?

thumbnail_IMG_1277 (1).jpg

Need to see the end of it, the connector isn't that visible.

Last edited:
Huh ? What is this again?

Looks like a wire for the coolant temperature sensor.

Is it a new harness for 72 small block? If so likely for the idle stop solenoid on 340 cars. Temp sensor is a round right angle plug.

Getting done with the 318 rebuild on the 72 Charger and putting things back together. I can't remember where this thing goes. .. It might have been loose before, but not sure. Any ideas?

View attachment 1132191
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Careful!!!!!!!!

Thats The Flux Capacitator Initiator Inhibitor!!!!

If Not Properly Inserted When Energizing The System CAUTION When Approaching 88 MPH!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Careful!!!!!!!!

Thats The Flux Capacitator Initiator Inhibitor!!!!

If Not Properly Inserted When Energizing The System CAUTION When Approaching 88 MPH!
Only past the flux is a capicator.

Ballast resistor. The traced wire runs from that splice to the ECU.

Not an original way to make it thought since by 72 with ECU, it should be dual prong plug and the traced wire would be spliced down the harness tape, but...

Not an original way to make it thought since by 72 with ECU, it should be dual prong plug and the traced wire would be spliced down the harness tape, but...
So amazing we have all learned so well only took a few years.

Looks like a wire for the coolant temperature sensor.

I'm wrong. I now see the temp sensor wire/connector in the background. :BangHead:

Is it a new harness for 72 small block? If so likely for the idle stop solenoid on 340 cars. Temp sensor is a round right angle plug.

I think you are right, but I don't know if it's a newer harness - seems original to me. I have the dual ballast resister and everything is plugged in there OK. I know it's an original electronic distributor car. Mmmm , I think I'll leave it loose and see what happens. Maybe it is the flux capacitor, or perhaps the Heisenberg compensator. The end of it is a plug -- it plugs in to "something" but I don't have a "something" to plug it in to.

So amazing we have all learned so well only took a few years.

I think you are right, but I don't know if it's a newer harness - seems original to me. I have the dual ballast resister and everything is plugged in there OK. I know it's an original electronic distributor car. Mmmm , I think I'll leave it loose and see what happens. Maybe it is the flux capacitor, or perhaps the Heisenberg compensator. The end of it is a plug -- it plugs in to "something" but I don't have a "something" to plug it in to.
Very nice so why is that on dual?

I have seen new repro harnesses using individual plugs for the ballast even being for dual ballast, and the blue wire with yellow trace is the ECU wire. Is the only device using that color code.

If it was 73 and lates I was thought it could be the choke control wire which gets a similar setup on the run to the alt field, but that was not equipped on 72s yet... as far I know.

I have seen new repro harnesses using individual plugs for the ballast even being for dual ballats, and the blue wire with yellow trace is the ECU wire. Is the only device using that color code.

If it was 73 and lates I was thought it could be the choke control wire which gets a similar setup on the run to the alt field, but that was not equipped on 72s yet... as far I know.
Its all having fun and make them run well.

Auto Transport Service
Back