• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel bearing race usage

74Runneer

Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting new oem style disk brakes on my 74 Road Runner and I noticed that my new rotors already have bearing races pressed in. I just bought new inner and outer wheel bearings and they also came with races. So should I remove the races that came with the rotor hub and replace them with the races that came with the bearings?

If so, what's the best way to remove and install races without a press?

I tap the old race out with a punch, then use the old one to tap on while driving in new one

The races in the rotor are good to use. Just leave them and continue the install.

That’s funny cause I’ve checked those races and they were same as the bearings that I ordered. Same part number, so they were used.

I guess it depends on who the manufacturer of the rotors is. I have seen races that have china on them and nothing else. In any case it does not hurt to check them out.

The brakes are bendix I believe. The race on the brakes seems to be a perfect fit by the way it looks and feels. I think I'm going to leave it and try my luck.

You’ll be just fine.

They are engineered to the same micro tolerances.

I don't even normally replace the races when I replace a cage, unless they show visible signs of impending failure such as galling, hot spots, or hairline cracks big enough to catch a fingernail.

Hundreds done and never a problem in over 30 years.

The biggest trick with front bearings is getting the tightness correct.
It's an acquired art and really can't be done by book spec or measurement.
Tight enough not to wobble but loose enough to spin free.
That sweet spot of "almost" no drag is sometimes difficult to find.

I've seen a LOT of failed bearings due to over tightening or under tightening.

Auto Transport Service
Back