• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheels

jball1105

Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just started to look for wheels for my 63 Sport Fury. I plan on converting to disc brakes, 2' drop spindles, and want 18" wheels. I am just learning about backspacing and all that and trying to figure out how wide I can go. I am not modifying the body (no tubs). Any suggestions, or words of wisdom? I 've been looking at Boss 338 and Foose legends.
Thanks,
Jesse

My words of wisdom are to take the time to learn what backspacing and offsets (same exact thing just a different way of saying it) are then have at it. Backspacing is simply the measurement from the mounting surface (axle) to the backside of the rim but keep in mind rim width is measured inside of the lips so a 10" wide rim is more like 11" total width.

Knowing this lay a straight edge flat against the rotor/brake drum so it extends into the wheel opening and measure in to the tub.. subtract for clearance and you have your backspacing. Another thing to factor in is how much bulge the sidewalls will have if running a tire wider then the rim which at that point you just figure it into your calculations.

If I had a 63 I'd be more help but mine being a 69 I doubt they're the same. Good luck

I wouldn't even think about wheels and tires until you get your suspension and brake mods done. Disc swaps frequently change track width, and lowering spindles will change the amount of room available.
Do you still have keyway axles in the rear? I don't know if discs are available for them. Research is in order.
If you keep your stock wheels around you can use them as a tool to measure the room available. Fwiw, backspace is much easier to understand that offset in mm. at least for me anyway.

I wouldn't even think about wheels and tires until you get your suspension and brake mods done. Disc swaps frequently change track width, and lowering spindles will change the amount of room available.
Do you still have keyway axles in the rear? I don't know if discs are available for them. Research is in order.
If you keep your stock wheels around you can use them as a tool to measure the room available. Fwiw, backspace is much easier to understand that offset in mm. at least for me anyway.

Yes I do need to do more research. I don't know what keyway axles are....lol. Thanks for the reply. I know I will do larger wheels that should clear disc brakes. Sounds like I should get that all decided before picking wheels though.

Keyway axles have a flange for the drum held onto the axle with a nut. That style was changed to current practice, a flange cast as integral part of the axle, in 1965. Look at the end of your axles, no nut they have been changed, a big nut: stock.

I don't see how this can help, so many things have been changed, but here goes;
On my 62 Savoy (similar wheelwell I think) i can run 10.5x28-15 slicks on 15x8.5 centerline autodrags with 4.875 backspace, but I have to use custom spacers I made, 3/16 on one side, 1/8 on the other.
I run factory 15x8 wheelies with my street tires, but I can only get 255x70z15 on them because the backspace isn't right (I think 4 1/2 ")
I'm also using a 65 8 3/4 ( I think), super stock springs with custom hangers to lengthen the wheelbase an inch for tire height clearance at the front of the wheelwell.
The right wheel will fill the opening much better than the wrong one, but you won't know what's right till your mods are made.

Keyway axles have a flange for the drum held onto the axle with a nut. That style was changed to current practice, a flange cast as integral part of the axle, in 1965. Look at the end of your axles, no nut they have been changed, a big nut: stock.

Thank you!

Ok guys, I've completed the rear end install- 8 3/4 with Dr. Diff disc brakes lowered 2" and Dr. Diff front disc brakes 2" drop spindle. I measured in the rear- From the mounting surface to the leaf spring is 6.5" and from the mounting surface to the lip of the wheel well is 7". Hub Bore is 70mm, but if I understand correctly you can get custom fit bore adapters to take up extra space (not sure if this is ideal??). I'm looking for wheels that fill the wheel well much better. So looking at back spacing do I just select a wheel that has backspacing less than 6.5", to make sure there is room? Can I use these measurements to determine how wide of a wheel I can fit. I don't need anything crazy, I'm thinking like 9". It seems to me I have a total available "width" space of 13.5". Planning for clearance and extra width from the tire I would think 10 inches of wheel (bead to bead 9" plus about 1" for edges) would fit just fine. Thanks for any input!

Okay, your next step is to decide what style of wheel you like, and see what backspaces are offered. A one piece cast wheel will generally have only one backspace available for each size. A two piece wheel can be offered in an assortment, and a custom two or three piece wheel can be made to your exact requirements. By the way, your wheel example of a wheel ten inches wide edge to edge, with nine inches bead to bead would be a considered a 18x9" wheel.
If you want to fill up the wheelwell, with an 18"x9" wheel, you will need something like a 27"tall, 10-11" section width, about nine inches tread. Something like 255/45x18, 265/40x18, or275/45x18. Please dont get those low profile rubber band looking, 24" tall tires, they just look stupid on big wheels on an old mopar.
So, if you get a tire with a section width of 11 inches (thats 279 mm.) on your nine inch rim, and you need a half inch to the spring, it sounds like you need a 5" backspace, ( 5"bs plus the one inch of section width overhang, plus 1/2" clearance to the spring.)
DO NOT TAKE THIS AS GOSPEL!!! MEASURE, MEASURE, and MEASURE AGAIN! Do some research on the tire sizes that might work after you find the wheels you like, with a backspace that will work!

Remember that the skirted ‘63 wheelwell and the lowered rear end make it tough to actually get the wheels on. Gotta jack the body and let the axle hang so you can get the wheel around the brakes. The wider section tires make this a bit more difficult. No floor jack under the pumpkin for this.

Auto Transport Service
Back