• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When is a flat top phillips head screw not a screw?

Dibbons

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
Short answer: when it is a bolt. I had quite a discussion with a clerk at a specialty fastener shop when I insisted I needed a couple of flat head phillips screws while he insisted what I needed were obsolete factory bolts (that are no longer available) that resembled phillips screws. These fasteners connect with the sheet metal clips that hold the outer headlamp grille surrounds with the center plastic grille on a 1972 Road Runner/GTX. I had to saw one screw off (photo #2) because it was rusted solid and which is probably why the plastic bracket broke off on that side (photo #1). He was able to sell me a sheet metal clip and a phillips screw to substitute for the factory piece. He also was able to finally convince me that what I had sawed off was actually a bolt, but with a pointed threaded end and a flat phillips head similar to many screws. Leave it to Chrysler.

Attachments

• DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 356
  • DSC00036.JPG
    DSC00036.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 315
Auto Transport Service
Back