• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Is Your Last Day To Mow Before Winter?

Usually by mid November we're done, however I'll still suck up leaves with the ride-on mower into early December. This October has been warm & the grass is still growing, even at the place in NH. It's around 70 right now & is going to be in the mid 70s tomorrow. Not bad for November 2, but I also know that we'll be paying for all this warm weather somewhere down the line.

I'm not taking any more chances with the fuel lines. I replaced fuel lines in my chainsaw, leaf blower and weed eater due to hard, brittle fuel lines from leaving fuel in them. Fuel stabilizer will not prevent this; it's the crappy material the lines are made of.
I never had to replace fuel lines...

Mowed one last time this season. Edged the front one last time this season. I, too leave the leaves on the grass and mulch into the lawn in the spring. It's free fertilizer. At least along the north fence where they tend to accumulate from the wind blowing.

I'm about done I'll probably mow it this weekend and I'll be done till March or so I might need to weed eat a few weeds

I don't have a lawn anymore, thank goodness
that's more time to spend on the cars or other stuff :lol:

I actually did it for a fire break
& I hate to mow lawns anymore, waste of my weekends
I also hate shoveling snow, :mad:
too bad I couldn't do something about that too

our last day is in late Nov. usually around Thanksgiving
sometimes latter depending on temps & weather
seems our real winter starts about Thanksgiving
sometimes a little earlier...
The 1st Snow is usually the 1st indicator...
We have a shitload of nice winter weather here,
really depends on the year...

I never had to replace fuel lines...
I've always used 100% gas no ethanol, too. The small engine repair shop told me he replaces a lot of fuel lines and suggested draining them. I wish they would have had the battery powered lawn tools when I spent the money on all these gas powered ones.

I've always used 100% gas no ethanol, too. The small engine repair shop told me he replaces a lot of fuel lines and suggested draining them. I wish they would have had the battery powered lawn tools when I spent the money on all these gas powered ones.
I have a battery blower as well...my neighbor gave me a new one for free he is the supplier for Lowe's...it works really well but a single battery doesn't last long enoughfor me and I always grab old faithful...lol to finish

Hey guys as a former Arizona resident I'm always learning new things when it come to lawn care. This year was the best it's looked. I've read a few of you guys talking about mulching leaves into the grass but some of you do it now and some in the Spring. Last year I left some leaves on the grass and it basically killed it after the snow melted and I cleaned the leaves up. It was a pretty thick pile of leaves, so should I mulch now or keep the leaves but don't let them get so thick and mulch in the Spring?

I've already stopped mowing as the grass has gone dormant and our secondary water is off.

Hey guys as a former Arizona resident I'm always learning new things when it come to lawn care. This year was the best it's looked. I've read a few of you guys talking about mulching leaves into the grass but some of you do it now and some in the Spring. Last year I left some leaves on the grass and it basically killed it after the snow melted and I cleaned the leaves up. It was a pretty thick pile of leaves, so should I mulch now or keep the leaves but don't let them get so thick and mulch in the Spring?

I've already stopped mowing as the grass has gone dormant and our secondary water is off.
Get rid of as many leaves as possible, I don’t even mulch them I rakeninto the wheel barrel and burn them in the pit

Did somebody say Moe?

1371516183-0.jpg

I will mow whenever that green crap sticks its little sun sucking feelers up over 4inches.:)

Cut it till it's either too wet, or stops growing.

If you wait until spring, you have to do it before the growing season starts. Otherwise, the leaves provide shade and the grass won't grow; but the weeds will. You don't need the leaves to feed your lawn. If it's a problem just rake them up and recycle them.

In Oklahoma, leaves keep falling way past the point I'm willing to brave the cold weather to go out and mulch them in the winter. That's why I do it in the spring.

It's all about how you want the lawn to look. I take care of the leaves in the spring and yes it puts some brown/dead spots in the lawn, but then that does not bother me. Something will grow after a few good warm days. I don't treat my lawn with anything and it's really just a bunch of good looking weeds. I mulch everytime I cut the lawn all summer. With that said, after time it probably puts a thick layer of dead stuff on top. If I wanted more then green weeds growing I would have to aerated the lawn. For me I am ok with green weeds. This pic is of my back yard from last summer, no treatments, mulch everything laying on the ground into the ground.
25712.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back