• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Is Your Last Day To Mow Before Winter?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
I'm in central Oklahoma and have tall fescue/bermuda in the back yard and bermuda in the front. Both need mowing one more time before I drain the gas out of all the power equipment.

Assuming you have 4 seasons and a lawn, when is the last time you will need to cut the grass?

Right about this one, unless it’s unseasonally warm and it keeps growing n I’ll keep mowing! Last cut I always cut on the highest deck setting so I have a nice thick lawn over the winter, helps with patches in the spring

I'm in central Oklahoma and have tall fescue/bermuda in the back yard and bermuda in the front. Both need mowing one more time before I drain the gas out of all the power equipment.

Assuming you have 4 seasons and a lawn, when is the last time you will need to cut the grass?
im in southern Indiana, I'm cutting once more tomorrow, mostly to mulch the leaves and then putting the mower up for the year.

20171027_115116.jpg
20171016_133253.jpg
It's getting close here in Iowa but I still have 4 trees in my yard and a 100 year old Oak that hasn't dropped leaves yet. I try to get them all up off the yard before it snows.

I live in Iowa also so I quit mowing when I'm done mulching leaves. The maples just started dropping leaves so my guess is 2 weeks. We didn't get a hard freeze till last week.

Whenever it quits popping back up... not there yet.

Probably one more here and then deal with mulching leaves....I do not drain any of my equipment. I put stabilizer in it and then I fill them up...never had any starting or failures...

Probably one more here and then deal with mulching leaves....I do not drain any of my equipment. I put stabilizer in it and then I fill them up...never had any starting or failures...
Yup same here, only time I had a failure is when I drained the fluids, so much condensation in my carb over the winter it warranted a through cleaning on a 6 month old mower

Last cut was the first week of October. Leaves have fallen, will not touch the lawn until spring. Come spring, will mulch the leaves into the lawn. Usually it takes two cuts and the leaves are gone again. I don't put anything on my lawn for any reason. Whatever grows, weeds, grass I am ok with. It's green and looks good to me.

Last edited:
We have four seasons here in Louisiana. They just all happen in three days. I cut pretty much year round. When ever it drys enough not to make tracks. I mow. Just sort of my proclamation. Lol.

I live in Iowa also so I quit mowing when I'm done mulching leaves. The maples just started dropping leaves so my guess is 2 weeks. We didn't get a hard freeze till last week.
Same here. I'm thinking 2 (maybe 3) more times before I can take the mower deck off and put the snow blower on.

Last cut was the first week of October. Leaves have fallen, will not touch the lawn until spring. Come spring will mulch the leaves into the lawn. Usually it takes two cuts and the leaves are gone again. I don't put anything on my lawn for any reason. What ever grows, weeds grass, I am ok with. It's green and looks good to me.

Interesting. I’m like you, no treatments - whatever grows will grow. But it’s been warm so I figure I have 1 more, which will mulch the leaves and then I’m done.

Right about this one, unless it’s unseasonally warm and it keeps growing n I’ll keep mowing! Last cut I always cut on the highest deck setting so I have a nice thick lawn over the winter, helps with patches in the spring

I like how that sounds. I might just try that this year.

I like how that sounds. I might just try that this year.
It really helps with spring growing, except last year once the snow melted I discovered a huge maze of vole tunnels which ruined half my yard, cut once beginning of spring and treated the yard a Scott’s step 2 and it grew in nice and thick. Annual treatments are usually milorganite organic fertilizer 4 times a year, Easter, Memorial Day weekend, Labor Day, and lastly Halloween. At 13 bucks a bag it’s fairly cheap and easy way to keep a good looking thick green lawn. Year round cutting I never chop the blades below 3” (usually the top 2 deck height settings) keeps the lawn thick and helps smother any pesky weeds or dandelions that might pop up throughout the year.

I'm not taking any more chances with the fuel lines. I replaced fuel lines in my chainsaw, leaf blower and weed eater due to hard, brittle fuel lines from leaving fuel in them. Fuel stabilizer will not prevent this; it's the crappy material the lines are made of.

Auto Transport Service
Back