• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's that noise coming from?

The engine on my 3 litre had developed a slight tick more noticeable under load. On tickover I could hear an exhaust leak around the manifold and set about checking the manifold nuts and then manifold to exhaust pipe without improvement.
The situation deteriorated and I discovered the leak was coming from No.6 spark plug.

https://roverp5.proboards.com/thread/4792/exhaust-leak-spark-plug

Sounds like my problem.
Guess after the weekend i will know whats exactly wrong.

I had a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder with a V6 exhaust manifold leak. Forums said it was a common problem.

At what shop you bring you’re Charger for the „ maintenance “ work ?
Hope you found the reason of it soon !

Last edited:
At what shop you bring you’re Charger for the „ maintenance “ work ?
Hope you found the reason of it soon !

If i had more time and most important space i would not bring it to any shop ever again. :mob:

I sadly can't really do to much under my carport with my neighbor(s) right next to me
(high polished audi neighbors to the left, walking greens to the right) and i have zero room in my garage.
Cant wait to see their face when we jack up the car and shot a load of smoke through the exhaust system to find the leak. :D

But right now i dont want to blame the mechanic either.
Its making the noise since it was in the shop but it could be coincidence too. Need to find the cause first.

But if you want a shop recommendation in germany i'm sorry i cant really give you one right now without feeling guilty. :D
There is almost always a problem of some kind when bringing one of my cars to a shop. And most of the time because they are doing crappy work.
I really hope i can afford to build (or rent) a bigger garage and a lift someday.

If i had more time and most important space i would not bring it to any shop ever again. :mob:

I sadly can't really do to much under my carport with my neighbor(s) right next to me
(high polished audi neighbors to the left, walking greens to the right) and i have zero room in my garage.
Cant wait to see their face when we jack up the car and shot a load of smoke through the exhaust system to find the leak. :D

But right now i dont want to blame the mechanic either.
Its making the noise since it was in the shop but it could be coincidence too. Need to find the cause first.

But if you want a shop recommendation in germany i'm sorry i cant really give you one right now without feeling guilty. :D
There is almost always a problem of some kind when bringing one of my cars to a shop. And most of the time because they are doing crappy work.
I really hope i can afford to build (or rent) a bigger garage and a lift someday.

I can believe you .
Oh yes , they can do a really crappy work , and this really good

Today with the help of my dad and my Smoke Factory Captain K. (old ~90s professional fog machine i bought used years ago...)

looks like this
Smoke-Factory-Captain-K-1500W-Nebelmaschine.jpg

We managed to locate the exhaust leak between the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipe.
It was already dark and just a crappy jack and pocket light but 99% sure.
My dad knows someone who also restores classic cars and this guy knows someone with a lift. So the plan is to ask if it is possible that we use this lift to verify and fix a few things (including the leak) on my charger soon. :)

Hopefully this works out!

If your exhaust was disonnected to access the transmission pan (pans gotta come down to get to filter), it's likely an exhaust leak...they didn't get it sealed where they disconnected it... probably at one of the manifolds. If you have a 'Y' pipe (two into one), it crosses under the front bolts of the pan. They would lower it to gain access to the bolts.

So at the end it seems like this is exactly what happened.

If you use a fog machine to locate an exhaust leak make sure to let the car run for 10-15 minutes after that.
Because otherwise condensed fog fluid will remain in the exhaust pipe which will lead to rust!
It will look like you have a blown head gasket for 5-10 minutes bevor the remaining fluid is burned out.
Of course its not so important if its a daily driver and you drive it the next day anyway. But you will throw a bunch of smoke out of the exhaust for the first 10 minutes or so driving around. :D

Edit:

It looks like a blown head gasket because fog fluid is very similar to coolant.
Often just 50:50 destilled water and glycol.

Auto Transport Service
Back