• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which 440 would you build?

Last year i found a really nice 72 440 block in Ohio, ( I live in Wisconsin too). Standard bore, in excellent shape. Like the others have said, all I wanted was the block, I paid $350. I consider the book "How to build max performance Mopar big blocks" by Andy Finkbeiner to be my BIBLE! It is a wealth of very valuable info, clears up a lot of myths about cyl wall thickness etc. Also the others are right in that theres no diff in blocks being newer, posibly newer blocks may be even better.
Also, I've worked in 3 different Automotive machine shops since 1980 and just to be technical, there is no such thing as a " freeze plug". Even though even factory literature calls them that. They are actually referred to as "core plugs". They are used to remove the sand after the block is cast, thats really there only purpose. Ive been a certified Mercuiser marine tech since 1986 and I can tell you after seeing HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS of broken blocks due to freezing, MANY of them never even pushed out the core plugs, only unrepairable gaping holes in the block. Cracks are serious and freeze damage CAN distort cyl walls. Repairing cracks is risky with no guarantees. I understand trying to repair numbers matching blocks, I would not recommend it for non matching setups. Thanks for reading. John

Do you know what the mileage is on the 1967 engine? It looks like it came out of a running and driving car.

Building an engine is a BIG job for anyone!

Even with a complete workshop at your disposal its a headache...

Things do go wrong no matter how careful you are.
The more new parts you can use the better of you will bee...

But even NEW parts can let you down (as well), like a badly 'run-in' flat tappet camshaft, incorrect clerances in the bearings etc.!

Nothing wrong with using 50 year old damaged/repaired parts, but 'why would you' if you can get a better ONE!

Twenty years ago I met a guy with a 1968 383ci Charger, he bought it new.
It had 400,000 miles on it with a re-fresh, with rings and bearings in the 90's...

He wants to do half a million miles before he 'pops his clogs'...
And before the Charger hits her 50th Birthday...(2018)

Why rebuild something that 'ain't broken' comes to mind...:bday:

Many times folks 'take apart' good running engines, spend a small fortune to 'put it right' and its no better once its 'fixed' lol...:soapbox: sometimes worse...:thankyou:

Last edited:
Thanks for the recent posts.

I wanted to update those that were following this thread. Unfortunately, one of the cylinders needs a sleeve due to some pitting, not a huge deal, but the block and heads checked out and we'll be moving forward with the build. Thanks again FBBO for your time, and willingness to add your thoughts on the topic. Cheers!

Last edited:
Happy Christmas to you and your engine!
My 69 Superbee sixpack block had all eight sleeves.
Boy did that iron headed 452 take some stick...:wtf:
She ran Nines in a street Dart for many years and then went back into the sixpack Bee for retirement lol...:thankyou::praying::usflag:

Ps. The 512ci engine in the avatar picture has a sleeve too!
Every good engine has at least one lol...:drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back