• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Carb for a 383?

pdxcop80

Local time
10:10 AM
Reaction score
I am working on restoring a 68 Charger with a mostly stock 383. It has had some cam work done, but prior to my purchasing it. I am ready to replace the carb, as it seem to be past it's time. Most people have said big blocks need a 750 Holley or Eldelbrock, but I have heard that might be too big. If the mixture is more correct for a 650 or 670, I'd like to know. What do ya think y'all? Thanks.

How much cam we talking? Just at stock or slightly over I would think a 650 would suffice.

I run the Edelbrock 650 AVS and it works very nicely. I have the Mopar Performance 284/484 cam with mildly ported heads, Crane rocker arms and Mopar dual valve springs. I had a 750 Edelbrock AFB and took it off for the smaller carb which works much better on my car.

I guess I probably should have said this is just going to be a weekend cruiser/summer driver. No racing and not a lot of high rpms. Just a good burnout once in a while. I am not sure what cams were put in, guessing slightly better than stock.

edelbrock 650 is nearly identical in venturi area and air flow to the 335hp 383 AVS. should drive nice and not hurt troque.

Auto Transport Service
Back