• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which carb for my built 383

icenfire

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
So I have a 383 road runner 4 speed. All stock except a 510 cam. Engine has been port, polish, balance, deck, and shaved. I believe it has aftermarket valve stems, maybe racing. I drive on the street but love to get up on it quite a bit. Squeal the tires several times an hour. Not too worried about gas mileage, 15 to 12 not so bad but I don't want to get 6 Know what I mean. What carb should I use. I have had 2 very good mechanics say slap a Holley 4150 750 cfm double pumpers on and I will be totally happy. But there are like fifty 4150 carbs, I had electric choke on carb I had on it but carb problems, it didn't run right. Rebuilt the original carter and it wont idle but man did it go when I gave it gas. Just sucks trying to keep it running at the lights and hold gas and brake and clutch all at the same time. So I am buying a new one!!!!
Looking for SPECIFICS. cfm, mechanical/vacuum model or stock number. Please please don"t say "yea I have a 4150 on mine and it runs great" or I have a 650 Edlebrok on mine, love em"" that does not help me at all.
I would like to hear something like "jegs item # xxxyyy-1234 carb is perfect for your setup.. It has _____ and mechanical etc.. for instant response and it will run great and only drop your mileage by about 3 MPG!! with your 510 cam

Thanks guys, lets see what you come up with.

Had a 383 with a milder cam in front of a mild performance Torqueflite and 3.23 gears, vacuum secondary on a older dual plane Edelbrock with factory high performance exhaust manifolds. Great throttle response. Ran low 13s with a Holley 750 vacuum secondary from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-3310s/overview/

electric choke

I don't have a manual choke line . Prefer not to add one, no original place to put it, so probably need either a electric choke or a thermal. I know lots of guys don't run chokes but I hate to sit in my car revving the gas to keep it running. I'm checking on a electric choke same model to see if they have one. Thanks for the input!!

i disabled the choke on mine. but then again, i don't just start a cold engine and jump on it.

What ever carb you buy unless just down right lucky there will be some adjustments to be made.

Auto Transport Service
Back