• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which mini tub kits offers more room?

nativefx

Local time
10:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking to mini tub my 68 charger and originally I thought the US Car Tool kit was the only option. I see AMD has come out with their 3" Wider Inner wheelhouse tubs, rather than the weld-in strip you get from USCT. I'm trying to figure out which option would give me the most room so i can hopefully fit a 345 wide tire?

AMD would be a lot less work and much simpler and neater install.

You're splitting hair when it comes to room - I don't think it there's a big enough difference between the two.

I cut my existing tubs . . . Moved them as far as possible . . Cut my own strips of metal and welded them in . . .

No cost . . Just time . . .

In the end, you'll have wider tubs . . . Just a difference of "how" you get to that point . .

Kits limit you to their parts supplied . . . Doing it yourself you can maximize the movement to get the biggest opening . . .

Pick one and run with it . . .

I'm not positive on the usct mini tub for your 68' pushes it all the way back to the frame rail but i believe it does and that of course would be as far as you could go.

How they turn out if you weld in strips will depend on your welding skills. Its a lot easier to plug weld sheet metal than to butt weld. And lap welds just plain look like **** regardless of your skill level.

You may need to move the springs too. Oops, just looked at the site. The kit includes the relocation pack.

You may need to move the springs too.

"Must or must not. There is no may"

yoda.jpg

I'm not positive on the usct mini tub for your 68' pushes it all the way back to the frame rail but i believe it does and that of course would be as far as you could go.

This was what I was wondering, do either of these options move the tub all the way to the frame rail? Obviously this would provide maximum room for the tire (also taking out the hump on the outer tub). I just wanted to see who has installed either, or both, and could confirm which would provide the most room to hopefully get a 345 tire back there.

I can only speak to USCT mini tub for my 64' Dodge and it pushes it to the frame which gave me roughly 14 3/4"-15" so plenty enough room. Chris Birdsong has a video about mini tubbing a Charger and i can't swear to this but i think it was a AMD 3' wider inner and he cut it down to make it less wide due to the fact that he didn't want it to go all the way back to the frame, he felt that it wasn't as strong. I don't necessary agree with that but whatever. He has some great videos but i can't remember which one is on mini tubbing ( all his stuff is Chargers)

I honestly don't think a 345 tire is going to fit regardless of the tub width.

he cut it down to make it less wide due to the fact that he didn't want it to go all the way back to the frame, he felt that it wasn't as strong. I don't necessary agree with that but whatever.

The lip on the frame rail is what provides the strength. Cut the lip off to weld the tub flush and yeah, it ain't as strong. The tub sure as hell doesn't add any strength. But hey, enough guys have done it.

Auto Transport Service
Back