• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Oil AFTER Initial Break In?

There is nothing inside to suggest it is a filter.

Quote of the day right there.

I just cut my WIX filter open after breaking in my 451 couple a weeks ago. Boy the quality is obvious. The anti drain back valve is a big heavy rubber piece. that alone is impressive, not even considering the quality of the filter media, the all metal ends, etc.

I should add that the filter was clean - the motor should last a long time.

Quote of the day right there.

I just cut my WIX filter open after breaking in my 451 couple a weeks ago. Boy the quality is obvious. The anti drain back valve is a big heavy rubber piece. that alone is impressive, not even considering the quality of the filter media, the all metal ends, etc.

I should add that the filter was clean - the motor should last a long time.

Same here on the Wix.

Now with the valve in it, you would think that when you go to remove it, oil would be pouring out of it when loosened. Mine leaked about a table spoon of oil, spinning it off. It had sat for about a week when I did this. ???

So it turns out I've been using a filter that really isn't a filter for the past 36 years and I've never had a problem. I am extremely lucky I suppose. However, the drain back thing has got me thinking.

I too used Fram oil filters, ykf7b0, for most of my life.
But, from company changes, and the like, I guess they started cutting corners. Yeah, I've heard/read all the stuff.

I went with a Napa Gold...for what that's worth. Supposed to be good.

I THINK that Napa's are WIX, can't remember where I heard that from.

Yeah they're wix. Even the part numbers are mostly the same. NAPA 1515 filter for my big block is WIX 51515.

I too used Fram oil filters, ykf7b0, for most of my life.
But, from company changes, and the like, I guess they started cutting corners. Yeah, I've heard/read all the stuff.

I went with a Napa Gold...for what that's worth. Supposed to be good.

What stopped my using fram... ways back I used to work for Allied Signal, who at the time owned Fram. Their filters were cheaper at pep boys than their company store and that just chafed me. No more!

I had a fram collapse internally and screw up an engine. Never again.

Napa gold are made by wix. I've been pretty happy with them.

I have a couple of Bosch filters that I picked up on sale at Walmart. they look fantastic - all metal end caps and internal whatchamacallit.

I have a couple of Bosch filters that I picked up on sale at Walmart. they look fantastic - all metal end caps and internal whatchamacallit.

There's a candy bar in there?
20131022-whatchamacallit-bar-primary-thumb-1500xauto-360362.jpg

So it turns out I've been using a filter that really isn't a filter for the past 36 years and I've never had a problem. I am extremely lucky I suppose. However, the drain back thing has got me thinking.
I know of m/c engines built in the 60s that have no oil filters and still chuff along mile after mile.
The point is if you are going to spend money on an oil filter you may as well get a good one for the same price or less.

I can't argue with that.

Oil threads are almost as bad as political threads. No one can ever agree and someone always goes away butthurt lol. But this is a fun read :)

Btw, I use Wix exclusively. But remember there are several different grades of Fram filters so their upper end ones may be as good. Just stay awayfrom the lower end ones.

but like I said no zinc additive with a SN oil
start with a good oil as some mentioned, Eurospec, Redline etc
do not try and beef up an old dino oil, don't last
and I agree on the break in only then 800 is fine
and 20 50 you do not want a thick oil unless you are in hot weather or pre heat

20-50 if the motor clearances were made for it. The zinc level & other additives sure do seem up for debate.

My builder strongly recommended the Wix Racing filter. I've switched on the street cars to Wix/NAPA too. I used up the Fram Racing HP-1's I had from the late '80's & gone to the Wix Racing for the Satellite.

Very, very interesting. My first modern oil was Lucas 20-50 Racing based on limited data I had. Seemed just fine. My current builder is a Brad Penn 20-50 High Performance Oil guy. His comments to me were that it was the same formula as the old Kendall GT 1 oil from many, many years ago. The Kendall oil always seemed to come out "cleanest" back in the day & no evidence of wear on my valve train despite excessive RPM. Surprised that the Valvoline didn't do better considering it's price.

WIX made NAPA’s filters when I had my store open. I cut several brands of filters apart for a display. Walmart drivers edge filter is better cnstructed than Fram, as was everything else.

Fram had their filter element glued to cardboard top and bottom and some of them even had a string tied around the outside of the element. Their paper element appeared to have less material than the other filters. They use a stamped metal ‘butterfly’ valve for pressure relief as oposed to a metal coil spring in the WIX filter. They are cheaply constructed on the inside. I did not cut apart a K&N filter at that time, wish I would have. The other filters usually had metal end caps glued to the filter media instead of cardboard.

The 540ratblog article is not a sales pitch for any brand oil as alluded to in an earlier post. It contains quite a lot of interesting information. A lot of what is posted there makes sense, enough so that I’m switching brands at the next oil change, as Royal Purple HPS was way down on the list.

Last edited:
What stopped my using fram... ways back I used to work for Allied Signal, who at the time owned Fram. Their filters were cheaper at pep boys than their company store and that just chafed me. No more!
HT413, I kinda agree, but it also has to do with volumn buying for the other guys. My old workplace was still getting o.filters for the same price as we used to pay 20yrs ago (for the same quality?) for same part# from Cummins & others. Most are now coming out of Mexico now,so QC is suspect in my mind.

Auto Transport Service
Back