• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whistling Motor, Vacuum leak

I never finished up this story! So, I tried every trick I could find. From spraying water to using propane gas,,,and nothing. Same High Pitch whistling when it reached operating temps. So, I went back to square one with a Stethoscope and touching everything around the intake manifold, then I thought why not and stuck right down the air intake ports to the Holly 4 barrel, and,,waaa-laaa I found it! I boxed it up and sent the carb to Daytona Parts in Florida and they deal with vintage Carbs. They duplicated the situation and got the same results. Come to find out the Base Plate was slightly warped and the heat caused further warping, which in hand had the gasket vibrating causing the whistle.
They milled the base plate, and also discovered that the other shop that rebuilt it left out two screws.
The End!
On to the next issue...

Auto Transport Service
Back