• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White sidewall tires

Davison

Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
1972 Road Runner came standard with whitewall tires. Does anyone know the whitewall width? In the early to mid 1960's the tire industry width went from 1" to 7/8" to 5/8" (in general.) But what was it in the early 1970's? I'd like to come as close as possible to a correct looking tire for my car. Thanks

This is the original spare from my 71 road runner. I'll have to dig it out of storage to get a measurement.

20220509_111319.jpg

A whole lot of early 70's Chryslers had a the double razer thin white stripes. Many (in my area anyway) were BFGoodrich if I remember right (prolly not lol).

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to measure my old goodyear F 70x14 and the white stripe is 3/8"

I own a 71 SuperBee six pack car that came with G-78-14 with dual narrow white walls. Also has full wheel covers.

The short answer is all different. widths. There was no standard. They varied between brands and models.
Info would be on the window sticker ( Munroney sticker) for that exact car.

1972 Road Runner came standard with whitewall tires. Does anyone know the whitewall width? In the early to mid 1960's the tire industry width went from 1" to 7/8" to 5/8" (in general.) But what was it in the early 1970's? I'd like to come as close as possible to a correct looking tire for my car. Thanks
Contact Diamond Back Tire company, that would most likely know, great place to get them also.

All car manufacturers had multiple suppliers, still do. You can find out the most common but to find out what your particular car came with would require the window sticker from your car. The build sheet would only tell you the size and whether b/w, w/w, or rwl. But not the model or width of a w/w. Just like it would tell you if it came with a radio for instance, but not the brand or model of radio. Only am or am/fm.
Put whatever you like, there is no way to prove what it came with.
W/w and tread patterns were not standardized until the Radial tires of the seventies became O.E.
The tire manufacturers had to have a standard for interchange in case some one needed only 1 tire.
Radials were new science back then and there was a lot of mystery to them.
The DOT standard was called a tire "T.P.C." spec. and also had a number for it. Example " TPC Spec 189 "
This meant , tire performance characteristic and had to conform in tread pattern, dimension and w.w width.
Without looking at the brand molded on the sidewall, the tires looked identical. This allowed across the board interchange with no safety concerns if a particular brand was not available. As long as the TPC spec matched, it was a safe option.

F70-14 Polyglass GT "custom wide tread" from my '70 Superbird that has never been used. The white stripe sidewall was 3/8, and this specific tire remained virtually unchanged all the way through the mid-70's. I have one that is date-coded 1974 and it is identical in appearance.

070.jpg

I like white walls on a correct era car. I have them on my New Yorker to complete the ole grandpa look.

20200312_172257.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back