• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White wire to stop light switch

monroegtx

Local time
4:34 PM
Reaction score
Hi all. I was trying to track down why my brake lights stopped working, and i was doing a continuity check on the white wire from the stop light switch into the indicator switch, to see if i had a break in the wire. I happened to touch the probe of the multimeter against the steering column as i was moving from wire to wire and got a continuity buzz from my multimeter. It seems i get a continuity reading from the end of the white wire at the stop light switch to the steering column itself. Even though i can follow a wiring diagram reasonably well to sort out issues, i’m no expert. Is this reading normal for this wire?
Car is a ‘70 GTX by the way.

make sure the ground wire for the steering Column is not broken or missing .should go from 1 of the 4 bolts to the stud with the nut that holds the column to dash.

I'm not sure exactly what points you were checking by looking at the diagram but, I can tell you this. When using a mulitmeter on any circuit with a bulb, you must remove the bulbs. You can get false readings because one side of the filament is tied to ground and a meter will read ground through the filament.

Thanks for the advice fella’s. Brake light ended up being a dodgy switch at the pedal.
You were right on the money Shorthorse. I unplugged the harness behind the kick panel and no longer got a false reading on the column. I wouldn’t have thought of the globes at all, so it’s nice to learn another bit of helpful info. Thanks again.
Glenn. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back