• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who’s a Member of Facebook - Why?

I’m thinking of joining Facebook but don’t know anything about it other than general stuff. My absolute only source of social media is FBBO. I’m retired and looking for more social outlets so I thought FB May be the way to go. Not looking for a lot of clutter but more opportunities to stay or get connected with people. How about you? How long and why did you join? Benefits? Thx in advance for posting.
I've been retired for 11 years at the end of this month. I remember running into a women I worked with at Chrysler while shopping at Target one day. She said that there was about 400 hundred people on FB that were looking for me, to thank me, for all the things I did for people that worked on the production line to make their jobs just a little bit easier. I told her that I wasn't on FB and she told me I needed to be so these people could interact with me. I worked with almost 5000 people and in one way or another I touched the lives of all of them. Part of my job was process, or, what it took for people to do their jobs. You can make or break a persons life by just adding one thing to make it easier for someone that does the same thing every 72 seconds, 8 to 10 hours a day. I was truly touched by what she said and I told her I would check into it. Yes, I would love to see some of them and hear all the things they have to say and take that trip back. To me it would bring up a lot of things that I truly left behind and at the end of the day, they paid me every Friday, every week, for almost 24 years for what I did. Did you ever see a horse with blinders on, that's so they can't see what's behind them or beside them, so they just keep pulling forward. Unlike a car, there is no reverse in my life, so for me, no thanks, but, thank you to all and you're all welcome!!

The one thing you said that makes me think you may like it is this comment, I’m retired and looking for more social outlets . If you want more social interaction in your life, then by all means, give it a try.

I resisted joining 2facebook for years and finally joined last year.
Basically, I was missing out on lots of cool pages related to several hobbies. That’s what I use it for.
I had to “unfollow” several acquaintances due to folks thinking it was the place to try to spew political nonsense.

Just like anything else, it’s what you make of it and how you approach it and use it.

Also, as has already been said, marketplace is thriving.

Nope don't need that worm belly leftist do nothing source of information place. Between him and gates I think that they have turned social media into a **** house. Fake news, lies and total BS is all it is.

Nope don't need that worm belly leftist do nothing source of information place. Between him and gates I think that they have turned social media into a **** house. Fake news, lies and total BS is all it is.
Nonsense.
Absolute nonsense. :blah:

the friends suggestions,if you check,
youll discover that those people Or their friends somehow know or have done business with Your friends on fb.
thats how that angle works.
i actually just figured this out 2 days ago.

as far as the marketplace,its ten times better than craigslist ever was.
you can See who you are dealing with,go scope out their profile page,
see what they are really like before you ever even contact them to do business.
ALWAYS run the name of the person First on the google/fb search to see if it pops up as a Scammer.
plenty of steals and deals on wheels there,use your head and youll be happy.

then theres the Groups.
ive been posting the mopar Swap Shop groups sales here for a year now.
theres also a Ton of Other mopar groups you can join.
im in quite a few myself.
these Groups are not only Great for finding cars and parts,they Also help You understand where the Current market is.
unlike some here who have 20 something cars in their backyard and preach prices even tho they wont sell their own.
or the wall of text person who rambles on and yet still has no idea of where the market is.

what i keep seeing here,is a lot of people dont seem to be able to tell that theres actually 2 sides to fb.
you can stay on your home page,
chat with friends post all the recipes you want and tell the world about your latest bowel movement
OR
you can use it like a Tool.
stay on your groups,dont accept random idiots as friends,and just enjoy the heck out of your groups and the marketplace.
the trick is to learn to use all your resources,and not just try to trash fb because you cant learn or cant be bothered.
only you can save you from Yourself.

final thought...as good as the fb is,Esp the Groups with the help and parts locating assistance,
it will never replace the Tons of Knowledge,Advice and References that This site provides.
Actually All of Joeys sites are packed full of great info.
Several very good points in this post. FB is as much or as little as you control it to be.
It's not like you're at the mercy of the joint - set it up like you want, use it as it serves your purpose.

Heck, I found my 18 spline 4 speed on FB Marketplace, when before I had generally ignored it.
After my little "dance" with Passon, I decided to try finding one fairly locally and started searching.
One guy in a Mopar group knew another guy who owned a transmission shop, who had just put up
a bunch of stuff because he was getting out of business and....wala!

I know several people over here who don't rely on verbal recommendations for potential new employees....they sift through facebook in search of the dirt on the person in question. There is no privacy left in the world.

I know several people over here who don't rely on verbal recommendations for potential new employees....they sift through facebook in search of the dirt on the person in question. There is no privacy left in the world.
I have tried to explain that to my daughter a thousand times. She gets it, but thinks it's just life and everyone does it. I remember when I had a gallbladder attack a few week before I had it removed. She came to the hospital emergency room. The next day I'm getting phone calls from people I hardly ever speak with. It turns out she took a few pictures of me laying there and posted them. She's a CRNA, so doctors and other friends of her that I have met a few times, but not real friends with, start texting and phoning the next day, WTF. When I had it removed a few weeks later I didn't tell her, I'm not her next big story line for the world to view and it will never happen again!!!

I resisted joining 2facebook for years and finally joined last year.
Basically, I was missing out on lots of cool pages related to several hobbies. That’s what I use it for.
I had to “unfollow” several acquaintances due to folks thinking it was the place to try to spew political nonsense.

Just like anything else, it’s what you make of it and how you approach it and use it.

Also, as has already been said, marketplace is thriving.

^^^^THIS.
I was on Facebook years ago and quit due to all the political rantings, people bickering and just plain stupidity that is posted there.
Once I moved to Oklahoma, I realized that I didn't know any car people, where to find parts, etc. so I rejoined.
I have found that the site is an incredible resource for parts as much as I hate to admit it. Craigslist is non-existent here in Oklahoma for car parts.
I have also met several local guys who I just met at the Mopar show at MoKan yesterday. Great people.

That being said, the lunacy is worse than ever. I heard Facebook described the other day as a cesspool of misinformation. Pretty accurate. Lol.
Also, I have noticed that car guys will "friend" me and then bombard me with political rantings. The "ignore" feature is great for this.
I will probably get rid of it again after the car parts are found. Its just too crazy for me, but again, the car resources are pretty amazing.
I sort of feel like social media is a bad place to get all your news. But thats just me. It is what you make of it, I suppose....

What's a Face Book? Went down to the garage, checked all the books I have, book shelve area is 10' x 8'. I have Chiltons, Motors, factory shop manuals, car Quest, etc. maybe a 100 all together, but nothing about faces?

Facebook works how ever YOU want it to work. Post only to friends (not publicly), only accept friend requests from people you actually know or want to know. Don't like someones day after day politic BS and fake new sharing, put them on ignore or just toast them off your friends list. Want better sex from the wife, friend a few old high school home room classmates that you wished you'd banged but have no desire to now, it's amazing how well that works. LOL I've done my entire car restoration thread using a FB photo album first and then easily using copy/paste on each picture description to post here and DC. Found it works like a charm and also gives me a full backup album for both cars should either forum I have them on crash.

Just remember that Facebook scours your Contacts list in your telephone directory and email folders....that is where all the suggetsed "friends" come from. Even people who have been CC'ed into emails or text messages will become suggested friends.

Elon 2.jpg

I have no time nor use for it. Some say that it's a great way to reconnect with old classmates and childhood friends, but there's usually reasons why we haven't kept in touch with each other for decades.
Agreed. Didn’t like them then. Don’t like them now. I’m sure feeling is mutual. Forwards gotten from other half seem like mostly the self absorbed.

Auto Transport Service
Back