• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Burns Wood in Their Fireplace?

Dibbons

Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
I grew up (circa '60's and '70's) in an adobe home that had a fireplace that heated the family area with a vent that was above the fireplace opening. Now it is against the law to even build a new home with a fireplace in some areas (of California).

It's hard to imagine the government could outlaw something like a fireplace in our homes. Not saying I like to pollute the atmosphere, but mother nature does it all the time. Just look at the fires on the West Coast going on now.

"Some areas of California, such as the San Joaquin Valley, prohibit new homes from being constructed with a wood burning fireplace. The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District passed Rule 4901 in 2003 stating that only gas burning fireplaces can be built into new homes."

Edit: That's what our fireplace had, a "heatilator" insert thing.

Last edited:
I did for about 33 years......and I put in a homemade heatilator. I worked pretty good.

I still burn wood in my fireplace but I heat with my boiler in central IL.

Burned wood for 20+ years, last season I installed a pellet stove. 440'

fireplace 002.jpg

Nothing is better than sitting next to a fire on a cold night. I removed a gas insert and had a new damper put in so I now burn wood.

Have a wood stove that we use to supplement the oil fired boiler. love the warm of it but the labor is getting a bit much.

I put in a cast iron freestanding wood stove with a catalytic converter in my fireplace 30 years ago. Great move as it cut down my wood consumption by a third. Much less smoke to bother anybody also... Love it..

I was rather surprised the first time Dad let me cut some wood using his chain saw, I did not expect all of the vibration.

Just finished building my new shop in April and it's is heated with a wood fireplace. Lots of cutting and splitting this year, will be interested to see how much I burn over the winter. I cut and stacked about 3 chords of dry old dead fall wood, I am hoping to burn about 1 to 1.5 chords, maybe a tad more due to the age of the wood.

Still use mine when its cold cold out but when its in the 30's and up I use my baseboard heat to supplement as well.

My FL home has two fireplaces.

I know, WTH, right?

But sometimes it does get below 30 degrees and they come in handy when that happens.

The smoke does bother my wife's sinus, but a couple years ago our AC/heater went out on the coldest day of the year (a Friday, nonetheless).
IIRC it was in the low 20's and that fireplace in the bedroom burnt some wood that weekend!

I use to cut wood now I buy it because I have a good suppliers! I also burn biobricks easier for the wife to handle and very clean to store in the house! I can store the equivalent of a bushcord under stairs to second floor only 15ft. from fireplace!
paid $900 for 3 bush of mixed hardwood
paid $720 for 3 skids of biobrick [equivalent to 3 bush hardwood}

Still burn wood in our fireplace every winter.

I cheat, heat the house and garage and it's all outside.:thumbsup:
20191027_145830.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back