• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who buys these super expensive Muscle Cars?

Jerry has a MINT Bird...
View attachment 860817
Sisters??? My friend Mike has an orange one,the blue is a survivor!

11.3.19 032.jpg 11.3.19 033.jpg 11.3.19 034.jpg 11.3.19 035.jpg 11.3.19 036.jpg 11.3.19 037.jpg 11.3.19 122.jpg 11.3.19 176.jpg 11.3.19 179.jpg 11.3.19 180.jpg

In all seriousness Steve.. 80 year old couple and he wanted to tick an item off his list and paid big dollars last year at Mercum. Probably eating a lot of pasta now, but having a ball... in the rain even. That said, I can't seriously wrap my head around your question..
talladegaorbust2019 816.JPG
talladegaorbust2019 651.JPG

Oh man, I hated driving ANYTHING in the rain! In 81 I bought a new Honduh 750 Custom and absolutely hated getting caught in the rain with it let alone getting any of my cars dirty after doing a detail. The 66 Belvedere didn't care because it looked dirty no matter lol. In October of 99, I ordered a surprise gift 2000 black Durango for my wife and kept that thing show room clean for a several years until I got tired of cleaning it. I stopped after she would let it sit in the garage on the nice days after a detail and then drive it on the first rainy day. Oh man, it would put me beside myself! It still looked pretty nice when she left me a couple of years ago but nothing like new! She'd drive my loud *** V6 Dakota (she hated it) until it rained then jump in the Durango. Bitc...........

I've been down that road watching the buyers at the big time auctions.Honestly it is something for them to do,they have more money than God, and the honey hanging on their arm saying "I like that one,buy it for me ". I've sold cars at auction,nothing is more disturbing than the questions during viewing.I swear they know nothing about cars.
Then you get that one guy that knows what he is talking about,you can see it in his eyes.He would be in heaven if he could buy one.Something he will cherish, respect,and take care of. A real car guy.He bids to his max but is out bid by way more than he could afford only to go to a guy that will have it picked up along with several other cars he bought,sent to a warehouse never to be seen again. And the guy that bought them has forgotten what they were moments after,the accountants pay for them, and all is well in the big buck game. Sad but true.
Others,it's just a business, buy and sell, sometimes making a profit,sometimes not.The game goes on.
excellent post

if I had the kind of money it takes to own a couple of high dollar rare ones, I would still drive them as they were meant to be. I don't drive mine in the rain or snow anymore but, 20-30 years ago, I never thought twice about it.
these big spenders do just that, spend money. when they get bored of them , it's on to the next. I think a lot of it is the need to impress, and some of it is just instant gratification. of course you throw in a few martinis, and it's on.

Last edited:
A man’s got to know his limitations

98099389-4CC4-4DD4-B9FA-8FBBC549496F.jpeg

This car is unrestored and not a show poodle so rain won’t bother it. I have cars that will not be out in the rain at all. 5430183B-8602-410E-94AF-EF3A8B1C9CD0.jpeg

Plenty of folks enjoying the rainy Sunday in their cars. Wipers were standard equipment.

I guess it not that outrageous anymore. Trucks cost $70K. I think i would drive a POS and buy an old muscle with the $6500 leftover.

For me, it's family, house and then muscle cars.

I guess it not that outrageous anymore. Trucks cost $70K. I think i would drive a POS and buy an old muscle with the $6500 leftover.

For me, it's family, house and then muscle cars.

Thats why a buy daily beaters for cheap . And focus my money being spent on the cool oldies. Room permitting. :)

I try not to drive my cars in the rain. Sunday driving my Daytona to the race track in the rain for the 50th was a pleasure to be part of a historic event. Dried out the trunk afterwards no harm done. Not driving a muscle car is like marrying a Virgin And saving her virginity for her second husband

I couldn't find an answer on the net. I mean most of us buy stuff in the $20K to $30K range. When prices are going crazy at an auction or private sale who are these guys? Are they just rich collectors or do they drive them to church on Sunday?

I just can't see a rich guy that is all about appearances driving a Hemi Charger. Isn't that a little gauche for the super-rich? I see it in the watch world when something becomes super expensive they are very understated.
When you guys figure out who these people are paying the "BIG", money is, please send them my way to buy my 67 Belv. with a new Hemi for $39000

Its their money and they can do whatever they want with it.....All of us fuel the hobby in some way......

Oh man, I hated driving ANYTHING in the rain! In 81 I bought a new Honduh 750 Custom and absolutely hated getting caught in the rain with it let alone getting any of my cars dirty after doing a detail. The 66 Belvedere didn't care because it looked dirty no matter lol. In October of 99, I ordered a surprise gift 2000 black Durango for my wife and kept that thing show room clean for a several years until I got tired of cleaning it. I stopped after she would let it sit in the garage on the nice days after a detail and then drive it on the first rainy day. Oh man, it would put me beside myself! It still looked pretty nice when she left me a couple of years ago but nothing like new! She'd drive my loud *** V6 Dakota (she hated it) until it rained then jump in the Durango. Bitc...........
I don't know about Bitc... Cranky.
Sounds to me like she probably just wasn't too bright.
Did she have a nice @ss though?

I dont know what constitutes rich but I think some of these high end buyers just have more disposable income and can afford these cars.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being well off enough that you can spend upper 5 or 6 figures on a car. Good for them, it their money to spend as they see fit.
For me I guess I have well over 30 maybe 40 grand in my car, and at this point id rather not know.
I consider that a awful lot of money for me to indulge in a hobby car

Unless you came across the deal of the century, 20-30 grand doesn't buy much in the way of any hi-po B-body these days.
You are correct RC, as I have been shopping diligently over the last 6 months. A good driver quality car depending on model is 25 to 30 grand.

If I did not a t get this car and start pouring money in 30 years ago I could not afford my heap today,,,,wataminute,,,,,I CAN'T afford this car today :realcrazy::(

Not me,I cut out rust,weld panels, block sand primer,reupholster seats,and put engines together in my garage, like most of us do! Like everyone else, we are priced out of our own hobby!

I dont know what constitutes rich but I think some of these high end buyers just have more disposable income and can afford these cars.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being well off enough that you can spend upper 5 or 6 figures on a car. Good for them, it their money to spend as they see fit.
For me I guess I have well over 30 maybe 40 grand in my car, and at this point id rather not know.
I consider that a awful lot of money for me to indulge in a hobby car

It also seems like lot of the high rollers buying up a lot of high end muscle cars also end up wearing fine jewelry to accompany the cars,like bracelets, and then the Feds end up auctioning off the collection!

It also seems like lot of the high rollers buying up a lot of high end muscle cars also end up wearing fine jewelry to accompany the cars,like bracelets, and the the Feds end up auctioning off the collection!
Thats happened a few times as ive read. As I said many people have the money, some are financially successful and can afford that high priced auction car, others can afford a 100,00 plus restoration. Still more can afford a stable of high end collector cars.
The key is the car, its the car that should bring folks together rich and not so rich to talk and enjoy the hobby.
Im happy with what I have as far as my car, not a RR not a GTX but a Sport Sat convertible. Im also happy and much much richer than many a person as I have my health and good children who have given us 6 beautiful grandchildren who are the light of our life.
Not to go off topic but I was raised by simple honest hard working men who had only the desire to keep a roof over there families head, food on the table and a heat in the winter. The very things they went without when they grew up. Hobbies were a luxury they didn't even consider.
Look were I am now, so as I said, im happy with what I have including my hobby car.
Were all either well off enough or extremely selfish if we spend money on a car hobby. Be it 50 grand or 5 hundred. Its a hobby not a necessity.
Be out of work, can't make the mortgage, food is tight and a hobby will diminish in importance.
I really dont get were the OP is going with his thread or his point and what I write are my thoughts

Super expensive cars, I mean Mopar Muscle cars. What price does super expensive start 80k, 100k or 150k.........

Auto Transport Service
Back